Pinterest Fail ~ Crock Pot Apple Oatmeal

Do you ever see a recipe on Pinterest and want to try it right then and there? That is what happened to me with this Crock Pot Apple Oatmeal. The recipe sounded amazing and I really wanted to try it. Thankfully we had everything I needed in the house. I figured it was a cold snowy night it would be perfect to wake up to warm Crock Pot Apple Oatmeal…..Hmmm if only that was how it turned out.

The recipe I saw on Pinterest included the following ingredients
2 sliced apples
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
2 cups of oatmeal
4cups of water

Super easy ingredients and really easy to put together. The recipe said to place the apples on the bottom of the crockpot and then layer the additional ingredients on top without stirring them. Cook overnight for 8-9 hours on low heat. I did all of this and fully expected to wake up to an amazing breakfast. The house smelled like apples and cinnamon and both John and I were excited to see how it turned out.

Well I am sad to say this was a total Pinterest Fail for me.

Pinterest Fail Apple Oatmeal

We woke up to find mush in the crock pot. I am not sure what happened but it was not good. The top of the oatmeal had a really odd film across it and some of the oatmeal burned to the sides. We decided to try a bite of it just to see how it tasted and well yuck. It tasted horrible. I am not sure what went wrong with this recipe but it turned out to be a total Pinterest Fail for me.

Have you ever made oatmeal in the crockpot? How did it turn out?

Comments

1. penelope merriweather says

I came across this post and read it because I thought yum..!! Interesting..!! HOW Funny!! I’ve never tried making it and wondered what happened? Good luck..!! Cute post..!!

2. Barb Chamberlain says

CRITICAL for this recipe: Use Scotch or Irish steel-cut oats, NOT regular flaked oatmeal. When you use the “tougher” steel-cut oats you’ll have wonderful results. I’ve occasionally had a bit of a skin on top that had to be stirred in but it disappears and doesn’t affect flavor.

You’ll also want to use a 3:1 water:oatmeal ratio, not the 2:1 in your Pinterest #fail recipe.

Try again and enjoy!

3. Anne Hernandez says

I tried this one, too. My results weren’t quite as bad as yours (mine was eatable and I think that because I added raisins, they soaked up some of the water which kept it from becoming too soggy), but I can think of some changes I’d make.
    1. I used old fashioned oats and think that steel cut oats would definitely make a difference.
    2. There is no salt listed in the recipe which gave my results a bland taste.
    3. I’m going to try using firmer apples so they don’t turn to mush from cooking all night.
    I’m going to try it again, but will make those three adjustments. I’ll probably use raisins again and might add a pinch of fresh grated nutmeg, too.
    Anne Hernandez recently posted..About: Getting to know you…My Profile

• Tammilee says

I like the idea of adding raisins to it. I have heard that steel cut oats make a huge difference. I am hoping to try it again soon and see if I can get better results.

4. Laura says

I made this exact recipe. I also found it on Pinterest. It turned out fantastic. Even my mother, who does not like oatmeal, thought it was pretty good. I used honey crisp apples, and while I didn’t use steel cut oats, I did use the super thick rolled oats that you get in the bulk bins at Whole Foods.
    Laura recently posted..Left Over Rice PuddingMy Profile

5. Cheryl Mollin says

I had the exact results you did………was mushy, burned to the side of the crock pot…will not try it again…