Happy Cupcake Saturday!
Today we are sharing these super cute Watermelon Cupcake Recipe! I just love the surprise of biting into one and the watermelon section has chocolate chips for seeds.
These Watermelon Cupcakes remind me of a friend of my grandparents in Ohio who would come visit while we were there. Every time she came to visit she brought the most amazing watermelon ice cream. I have no idea where it came from but I remember asking my grand parents if their friend with the great ice cream was going to come visit. She was a tiny old lady who used to sit on a few phone books so she could see over the dashboard. My grandfather had to build her an extension for her car so she could reach the gas pedal and brakes.
Its funny the things we remember from being a kid.
- ½ C unsalted butter, room temp
- 2 egg whites, room temp
- 2 eggs, room temp
- 2 C flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- ¾ C buttermilk
- 1½ C sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 1 C mini Chocolate chips
- Red gel food coloring
- Frosting Ingredients:
- 2 sticks of unsalted butter, room temp
- 4-5 C powdered sugar
- 4-5 TBSP of heavy whipping cream
- Green gel food coloring
- -Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- -Set up the cupcake pan with liners.
- -Using a medium bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, salt, and baking soda.
- -In a separate large mixing bowl, beat the butter with an electric mixer on medium to high for 30 seconds.
- -Add sugar, vanilla, and almond extract to the butter and beat until combined.
- -Add egg whites, and then eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- -Alternate adding the flour mixture and buttermilk to the butter mixture, beating on low speed until everything is mixed together.
- -Add several drops of red gel food coloring until the batter looks like watermelon red.
- -Add the mini chocolate chips. Stir well.
- -Fill the cupcake tins till they are ⅔rds with cake batter.
- -Bake for 20-25 minutes.
- - Allow cupcakes to cool in the cupcake pan for 10 minutes then remove and allow to cool completely on a wire rack.
- Frosting Directions:
- -Cream the butter and powder sugar until it looks light and creamy.
- -If it doesn't cream add the heavy whipping cream.
- -Test to see if the frosting can form and hold a stiff peak by taking a large spoonful and turning the spoon upside down. If the frosting doesn't fall it is ready. If the frosting does fall off the spoon then....
- -Add more powder sugar ½ C at a time.
- -Test to make sure that the frosting can make and hold a stiff peak.
- -When frosting is ready, add several drops of green gel food coloring.( Color should be a pastel green color to look like a rind of a watermelon.) Stir well to blend both the extract and the food coloring throughout the frosting.
- -Scoop the frosting into a pastry bag with a large frosting tip and frost your cupcakes.