I am convinced that vinegar is almost a magical potion when it comes to household uses. One of my favorite ways to use it is to incorporate it into my cleaning tasks.
I try and keep a huge jug or 2 of vinegar in the house at all times. It works wonders for keeping the house clean and is a great way to cut down on cleaning costs.
10 Tips for Cleaning with Vinegar
1. Mix white distilled vinegar with some dish soap and it works amazingly on soap scum. You just place the mixture in a spray bottle and apply it on spots that have hard water or soap scum deposits. Allow it to sit for a while and wipe off. Repeat if necessary or if your areas are particularly tough.
2. Plain white distilled vinegar is great for cleaning out your fridge rather than bleach. It is safe for use around food and it has disinfectant properties as well as odor-absorbing ones.
3. Pour ½ cup of vinegar into your heavily soiled loads of laundry to use as a fabric softener as well as an odor absorber. It is especially helpful for neutralizing oil smells from work uniforms.
4. Another use for it in the laundry room is to clean your washing machine. Just simply add a cup to your washing machine after allowing it to fill (this works for top load machines only) and run a hot cycle. You will rid yourself of musty smells as well as hard water deposits.
5. Mix vinegar with baking soda to help clear drains. Make sure to add the vinegar slowly so you don’t end up with a huge foaming mess as it will foam up very quickly with this combination. You can also prevent clogged sinks by doing this once a month.
6. Clean your microwave by heating up equal parts vinegar and equal parts water in a glass bowl in your microwave for 1-2 minutes. The solution will not only loosen stuck-on grease, grime, and food but also work well to do the wiping afterwards.
7. Get rid of water spots on furniture by using a bit of vinegar to remove them. Just blot the area and wipe clean.
8. Remove sticky residue off counters, sinks, and stoves with full-strength vinegar. It will break down the stickiness and wipe it clean.
9. Use vinegar to remove animal and pet stains on your carpet by immediately soaking with it after an accident.
10. Get rid of wax on furniture with vinegar. Just make it soft again with a blow dryer and wipe up what you can. When it is clean, add some full-strength vinegar to the area to remove the wax residue.
What are some of your favorite ways to use vinegar to clean up messes around your home? I would love to hear your tips!
Additional Cleaning Articles
Check out all of our Cleaning and Organization Guides