Is anyone else counting down the days until the new Star Wars movie hits theaters?
I am so ready for the movie to come out! Star Wars mania has definitely hit this year and we are loving it. For today's cupcake Saturday we are celebrating the movie with these super fun R2D2 Mickey Cupcakes!
R2D2 Mickey Cupcake
- 1 C soft unsalted butter
- 4 C powder sugar
- 4 TBSP heavy whipping cream
- candy rocks
- Icing Ingredients:
- 2 egg whites
- 1 C powder sugar
- ½ tsp cream of tartar
- Black grey, white, blue, and red gel food coloring
- -Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- -Line the cupcake tins with paper liners.
- -Mix the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in a bowl.
- -In a separate bowl add the eggs, whole milk, oil, and vanilla.
- -Add the bowl containing the eggs, whole milk, oil, and vanilla to the bowl holding the dry ingredients.
- -Mix all together until fully incorporated.
- -Beat for 3 minutes on medium.
- -Slowly add the boiling water starting with a small amount then pour in the remaining boiling water.
- -The batter may be a little runny.
- -Scoop batter into cupcake lined cups until ¾s filled.
- -Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes.
- -Remove from oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes.
- -Take out of the cupcake pan placing on a wire rack until completely cooled.
- Frosting Directions:
- -Cream the butter and powder sugar until it looks light and creamy.
- -If it doesn't cream add several drops of the heavy whipping cream until it creams.
- -Test to see if the frosting can form and hold a stiff peak by taking a spoonful of frosting and turning the spoon upside down. If the frosting stays on the spoon it is ready if not then....
- - Add more powder sugar ½ C at a time.... mix well.
- -If ready scoop the frosting into a pastry bag with a large tip.
- -Twist the open end of the pastry bag to push the frosting to the tip.
- -Start the frosting on the outside edge of the cupcake working to the center of the cupcake.
- -Add candy rocks around the top of the frosted cupcake.
- Icing Directions:
- -Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl mixing on medium speed for 4 minutes. (except your food coloring)
- -If icing is not stiff enough add ¼ C powder sugar.
- - Spoon two TBSP of icing into a bowl, add several drops of red gel food coloring. Mix well.
- -Spoon five TBSP of icing into another bowl, adding several drops of blue gel food coloring. Mix well.
- -Divide the remaining icing into thirds. The first of the third icing stays white in one bowl. The second of the third remaining icing add several drops of black gel food coloring in another bowl. Stir well.
- -The last of the third remaining icing add in several drops of grey gel food coloring in a last bowl. Stir well.
- -Locate a picture of R2D2 Mickey on Google. Print the picture in color. Tape this picture with several small R2D2 Mickey of it on it to a cookie sheet.
- -Tape wax paper (covering the copies of the Mickey) to the cookie sheet . Follow the color and features as printed on the paper.
- -Using a small pastry bag fill with the black royal icing and a #2 tip. Start by outlining the Mickeyfirst. Fill in Mickey's ears with the black icing. Allow this to dry for 30-60 seconds.
- -Draw a black line in the middle of Mickey to divide him in half. Fill in the bottom half with the white icing. Allow to dry for 30-60 seconds then add three blue lines across Mickeys lower half of his body.
- -Fill in the top half of Mickey with grey icing allowing it to dry for 30-60 seconds.
- -Add a blue icing line near to the black dividing line in the center of Mickeys body. Make four small rectangles in the blue icing; two on the left side, one of the right side, and one on the forehead of Mickey. Next add two small blue dots in between the rectangles on the left and the right sides. Add a red dot on top of the second blue dot. Next to the red dot add a grey dot. Add a small black dot on the rectangle on Mickey's forehead.
- -Allow to dry for 5-10 hours.
- -Ensure that the image is dry, gently touch one of them with your finger if it allows you to push in on the icing allow it to dry more.... If the image is dry then it will have a hard feeling not allowing you to push in on it.
- -Cut the wax paper holding the completed image into squares surrounding the completed R2D2Mickey.
- -Once R2D2 Mickey is dry, carefully peel the wax paper off of the back of the images.
- - Place on the frosted cupcake in between the candy rocks.