I am a sucker for a good brewery and love tasting the local flavors whenever I travel.
Each place has their own story, own flavors and several are also restaurants to top off a great experience. I will fully admit to being a beer snob and have planned vacations around great beer destinations like Denver, Seattle, Portland and Grand Rapids. I was blown away by the breweries in Reno! Here is my list of six great breweries in Reno to visit on your next trip
6) Tahoe Mountain Brewing Company is located in Truckee California and is an easy drop off heading to Lake Tahoe for the day. Its also an easy route for the passengers that get motion sickness as this route is much straighter . We stopped into this brewery and was delighted to see the variety of beers on tap. I’m sure there is something here for everyone.
5) Stoneyhead Brewing Company is in an industrial part of Reno and you will need to have a car to get there. Don’t worry, the drive is worth it as this small brewery is putting out some great beers! I had a blast talking with the folks here as you could hear their passion for making great beer. They even gave free samples before buying your favorite. I know this sounds silly but it seems that most places anymore are selling taster flights or charging $1-$2 to taste their beer to see if you even like it! The free samples here had me convinced I was in the right place and ready to buy more.
4) The Depot is a brewpub and distillery in downtown Reno with tons of appeal. It is an old railroad depot converted into a brewpub and even has the safe inside the men’s restroom! The food and beer were also good and made this a must visit while in Reno!
3) Alabi Brewing is located in Incline Village and is producing beer from the water in Lake Tahoe! Alabi is a very local brewery and don’t be surprised to see almost everyone knowing each other and an occasional dog as Tahoe is a very pet friendly place. Do not let this deter you from visiting this place because the beers are fantastic! This is the perfect place to go after a fun day on the lake.
2) Brasserie St. James restaurant alone is reason enough to visit. I had their chicken and waffles and they are like crack! Seriously great food and everyone else was raving about their dishes too. Now throw in their great beer and you have a must visit to Reno. Be warned that once you go you will be thinking of going back again and again.
1) Great Basin Brewing Company is the champion of breweries in Reno! I found this place on a previous trip to Reno and have been going back every since. It is the all American brewery with great beers, fantastic food and reasonable prices and will have you saying “gimme an Icky”. Did I mention their Icky IPA and one of the best I have tasted. This place has introduced me to bacon mac & cheese pizza, bitchin berry beer and a great brew masters breakfast. Who else gives you a reason to have a beer before noon? I only wish there was one of these in my home town!
There is several other breweries in Reno but a guy can only hit so many breweries in a long weekend. Reno-Tahoe also has put together an ale trail map so you too can plan your own trip to Reno! Cheers!