Easy Green Jello Salad Recipe that takes minutes to prepare. This lime jello salad is great for summer barbecues, family dinners, or when you need an easy dessert that is also called a salad.
Green Jello Salad
This is one of those vintage recipes that everyone has enjoyed at some point in their lives. Our grandmothers used to make Jello salads for major holidays.
We now make it for Thanksgiving and Christmas most years plus Easter and St. Patrick's Day when we want to add in a fun green salad.
There are so many variations of this Lime Jello Salad. Some have cottage cheese, pineapples, pears, nuts, and marshmallows in them. We keep ours pretty basic with a couple of cans of fruit cocktail.
It is one of those recipes you can easily adapt and change up once you get the basic process down. The only real thing to watch with this recipe is making sure you drain the fruit you are putting into the jello salad.
You don't want to the fruit juices to cause the jello salad to not set. That being said it is really good served scooped in a bowl so if your jello salad doesn't set perfectly don't worry it will still taste amazing.
- Fruit Cocktail
- Lime Jello
- Boiling Water
- Cream Cheese
- Cool Whip
- Maraschino Cherries
Optional - Crushed Pineapple, pear halves, walnuts, cottage cheese, or marshmallows.
Fruit Cocktail - You can change out the fruit cocktail and use any fruit you like including pineapple or pears.
You can use light cream cheese and sugar-free Jello if you want to lower the calorie count in this Jello Salad.
Large Mixing Bowl
9x13 baking pan/2 quart dish
You can serve this right from the baking dish or spoon it into a serving bowl or platter.
You can use fresh whipped cream to top this lime jello salad but it will start to break down quickly. Cool Whip is stabilized and will hold its shape.
One of the best parts of this easy dessert recipe is you can make it 24 hours before you are going to serve it.
Make sure to fully drain the fruit cocktail! You don't want the fruit juice to make the Jello not hold its shape.
You can make this Green Jello Fruit Salad in small molds if you want individual desserts.
Great Dessert Recipes
Green Jello Salad Recipe
- 15 oz fruit cocktail drained
- 6 oz lime jello
- 2 cups boiling water
- 8 oz cream cheese room temperature
- 8 oz cool whip thawed
- Maraschino cherries garnish
- Cool Whip Garnish
- Mix together Lime Jello and Boiling water until combined.
- Add in cream cheese and mix together with a hand mixer until combined. Be very careful it will be HOT
- Refrigerate jello mix for 1 hour to cool it down.
- Remove jello mix from refrigerater and mix in Cool Whip until combined.
- Fold in fruit cocktail and pour mixture into a 9x13 baking dish. Place baking dish in the refrigerator for 3-4 hours until set.
- Remove from the refrigerator and top with Cool Whip and maraschino cherries.