One of the things that is amazing about Disney is how much time, energy and research goes into creating the parks. Today I am excited to share 16 Disney Magic Kingdom Secrets.
16 Disney Magic Kingdom Secrets!
- The Winnie the Pooh ride took over the space of Mr. Toad's Wild Ride. There are pictures showing Mr. Toad handing Owl the deed to his house.
2. Look for footprints from Peg-legged Davy Jones on the exit of the Pirates of Caribbean Ride.
3. Fire Station 71 in Town Square is a nod to 1971 the year the park opened
4. The dirt removed from the Seven Seas Lagoon was used to create the grounds of the park. This is considered the second floor of the park. The 1st floor is the tunnels and offices of the park.
5. Cinderella Castle is 189 feet tall, Imagineers kept the castle under 200 feet so it does not need plane beacons. They used a technique called forced perspective to make the castle look so big.
6. Liberty Square Tree has 13 lanterns hanging in it representing the original 13 colonies
7. The brown gravel like concrete through Liberty Square represents sewage. Yep, Sewage! It represents the river of sewage that would have flowed down the middle of the street in colonial times.
8. If you look at the buildings in Liberty Square they all have a 2 digit number. If you add an 18 before the number that is the year that style of house was popular.
9. As you move from Liberty Square to Frontier Land you are symbolically crossing the Mississippi River and journeying West.
10. There are tons of flags along Main Street but none of them are real American Flags. Real American Flags have to come down at night. There is only 1 true American Flag on Main Street. The others do not have 50 stars.
11. Main Street has a working barber shop, this is the perfect place for a babies first haircut.
12. It took an act of congress to get the Presidential Seal for the Hall of Presidents. It is one of only 3 in the country. The other two are at the Liberty Bell and Presidential Office.
13. You are never more than 30 steps from a garbage can in the Magic Kingdom. Walt Disney visited other theme parks and found that people would walk 30 feet before dropping garbage.
14. No gum is sold anywhere in the park. If you love gum make sure you bring some with you.
15. The telegraph at the train station that you hear is Walt Disney's opening speech at Disneyland in morse code
16. The pirates playing chess in the Pirates of Caribbean ride have died because the game will never end. Imagineers did research to find a chess game that was not winnable.
I hope you enjoy these great secrets/not so secrets of the Magic Kingdom. Let me know if I have missed any in the comments below and I will add them to the list.