John and I were driving down the street the other day talking about great winter weather food. I told him I had just found a great recipe for chicken pot pie. He gave me this funny look and started shaking his head. He reminded me that I am on a chicken sabbatical for at least a month after making 8 pounds of chicken in the crock pot a couple of weeks ago. He is happy to remind me that there is more than enough chicken prepped and ready to go for a while.
This got me thinking and I wondered if I could change the pot pie to bacon. When I mentioned bacon pot pie John asked what we needed to pick up and pulled into the grocery store parking lot. I guess he liked the idea….
This recipe is a bit of a process but oh so worth it! John came home and was so excited to see these ready to go!
Bacon Pot Pie
Basic pie crust -recipe below
3 cups cheddar cheese, grated
1/4 cup chives
1 pound bacon, diced
1 medium yellow onion, diced
2 stalks celery, diced
2 medium potatoes, diced
2 tablespoons flour
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup whole milk or half and half
4-5 green onions, sliced including green tops
1. Assemble pie crust, add in 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese and chives
2. Dice all of your bacon, vegetables and potatoes and set them to the side in separate bowls
3. In a large skillet, saute the bacon over medium heat until crispy. Remove to a paper towel to drain.
Drain off most of the grease, leave the little bits of bacon in the bottom of the skillet. Return the skillet to the heat
4. Saute the onions, celery, and potatoes for about 5 minutes until onions are beginning to turn translucent. Reduce heat to medium-low and continue to cook another 15 minutes until potatoes are just beginning to turn tender.
5. Sprinkle the contents with flour, add sour cream, and half and half stir well to incorporate
6. Remove from heat. Stir in a cup of cheddar cheese, the bacon and green onions. Place contents in Ramekins or casserole dish
7. Top the mixture with remaining cup of cheddar cheese in an even layer. Cover with pie crust and cut a few vent holes in the top.
8. Bake at 350 degrees for 50-60 minutes, crust will be golden brown
Allow to rest for 5 minutes and then enjoy!
Pie Crust Recipe
1 1/2 cup all purpose flour
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 stick of very cold butter
1/4 cup cold water
Whisk together flour, sugar and salt until well mixed
Using a cheese grater grate the very cold butter
Mix the flour, sugar and salt with the butter quickly, I used the Food Processor on pulse to combine it quickly
Slowly trickle the water in at about 2 tablespoons at a time to combine, when the mix starts to become dough you have enough water
Form the dough into a ball and wrap in plastic wrap, refrigerate for 30 minutes or up to 3 days
Flour a surface lightly and roll the dough out.