Ooey Gooey Butter Cake is decadent, rich, and buttery! It is hard to believe that it is made with a yellow cake mix.
Ooey Gooey Butter Cake Recipe
I first heard about Gooey Butter Cake from friends who live in St. Louis, Missouri. They kept telling me it was the best cake you could make and how epic and delicious it was. This sent me on a path to making the best gooey cake I could make.
I have seen these Gooey Butter Cake Bars listed as the Original Neiman Marcus Bars and Texas Gold Bars depending on what articles you read.
Paula Deen's Ooey Gooey Butter Cake is famous and served in all of her restaurants. There are even pumpkin gooey butter cakes and chocolate gooey butter cakes that I am going to have to work on making soon.
We like making this for potlucks, family dinners, and summer barbecues. Everyone loves how it tastes and it is a great sweet treat.
We took these over to my husband's mom and grandmother and they were gone before I even realized it. They LOVED THEM!!!
They keep asking when I am going to make them again and bring them over. lol.
- Yellow Cake Mix
- Melted Butter
- Cream Cheese
- Confectioners Sugar/powdered sugar
Non-stick cooking spray
Heat resistant potholders - A couple of years ago we had a fire scare when we didn't realize we had turned a burner on and a cloth potholder caught fire. Thankfully we walked by the kitchen and saw the smoke and were able to get it out ourselves. Since then we have only used these heat-resistant potholders.
Don't forget to set out the cream cheese so it can reach room temperature.
Make sure to preheat oven to 350 degrees
We suggest spraying the pan with a bit of cooking spray so the parchment paper does not move around the prepared pan when you add the cake mix bottom layer.
Serve these Ooey Gooey Butter bars with a napkin or 3. They are definitely packed with butter and the bottoms of them can be a bit buttery.
Make sure to allow the bars to cool completely before serving.
Cooking times may vary depending on your oven and elevation.
The top layer will deflate as the bars cool and start to crack! Don't worry this is how they are supposed to look.
Great Dessert Recipes
Ooey Gooey Butter Cake Recipe
Cream Cheese topping
- 8 oz cream cheese softened
- 2 Eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ½ cup butter melted
- 4 cups confectioners sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Line a 9x13 pan with parchment paper. We suggest spraying the pan with non-stick spray to help hold the parchment paper in place.
- Mix together the yellow cake mix, eggs, vanilla, and melted butter. This batter is super thick to spread!
- Flatten the cake batter as much as you can in the bottom of the pan.
- Mix together softened cream cheese, eggs, vanilla, and melted butter with a hand mixer.
- Slowly add in confectioner sugar 1 cup at a time until combined
- Spread cream cheese mixture over the cake batter layer evenly.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes, cool before serving. The cake will deflate a bit and the top will crack as it cools.