Today I am 40! Oh my goodness! WOW!
Here it is…my 40 before 40 list, challenges I pushed myself to do and milestones accomplished!
This list was not easy to accomplish, but I am so happy that I did it. Many of these experiences pushed me not to let fear stop me, pushed me outside my comfort zone (Hello getting a Brazilian wax and taking a Stripper 101 pole dancing class in Las Vegas) but more on those later!
If you are thinking about making a life list, a 40 before 40 list, a 50 before 50 list or really any age or goal list I URGE YOU TO DO IT! Seriously! When I started this project, it was on a complete whim with no real plan. I didn’t have 40 things in my head I wanted to do. I wasn’t even sure what I was going to count as being on the list I just dove in and went with it.
Doing this list pushed me to agree to do things I would never have done in the past, It pushed me to realize that some of my fears were a bit extreme, and I wasn’t going to die just from doing the experience, it also pushed me to really look at myself and what I wanted to accomplish.
Friends, family, and my amazing Husband pushed me, motivated me and joined me on many of these experiences. If you do a list, I highly suggest including your spouse, friends, and family in the making of it if you can.
Some of the things on this list never would have happened if I didn’t set the goal of doing 40 new things. I have always wanted to do a lot of these things but let fear, money, or common sense stop me from doing them. Other things happened simply because I put it out there that I wanted to do 40 new things and friends/family pushed me in the right direction.
Your list can be whatever you want it to be! Big, small, crazy, or things you have always wanted to try. I am already thinking about doing a 50 before 50 list. Heck I might try and do a 41 before 41 list. I needed the push from making this list to step outside my comfort zone and make things happen. Who knows what is next but I have a few ideas!
So here it is! My 40 before 40 list, challenges and milestones!
- Visit Sint Maarten – New country
- Had a chest x-ray done at sea
- Drove a Lexus on a race track 100+ mph in Palm Springs
- Went to a paint and wine event..did this twice! Grapevine, Texas and on the Fathom Adonia
- Took a trip down an ice slide in Grapevine, Texas!
- Tried glass blowing in Grapevine, Texas
- Rode in a limo in Las Vegas
- Renewed our wedding vows with Elvis in Las Vegas
- Painted on a silk scarf in Lake Charles, Louisiana
- Painted on a dead fish in Lake Charles, Louisiana
- Taught English in the Dominican Republic with Fathom
- Worked in a chocolate factory in the Dominican Republic with Fathom
- Tried acupuncture on the Fathom Adonia
- Took guided meditation classes on the Fathom Adonia
- Got a fish pedicure in Rhodes, Greece
- Tried a Thai Poultice massage on the Carnival Vista
- Rode a cable car in San Fransisco
- Attended a pirate festival in Lake Charles, Louisiana
- Had a couple of Thai massages in Bangkok, Thailand and didn’t cry!
- Swam naked in a private bungalow in Thailand
- Attended my 1st retreat with other woman business owners
- Tried fried bourbon in Lake Charles, Louisiana
- Spoke to a College Business Class at Washington State University about social media and running your own business
- Had a spray tan
- Got a Brazilian Wax
- Tried a 3-day juice cleanse
- Went stand up paddle boarding in Cozumel, Mexico
- Went Cave Tubing in Belize
- Had a numerology report run
- Ordered DNA Testing through Ancestry.com
- Took a seaplane ride over Seattle
- Went parasailing in Tacoma, Washington with my Mom
- Tried a float tank
- Attended football 101 in Stillwater, Oklahoma
- Took a Stripper 101 class in Las Vegas
- Visited Dry Bar in Vegas and had my hair done
- Visited the Ice Bar for a cocktail in Vegas
- Attended a Hollywood Movie premiere party for The BFG
- Paid off 100% of my debt
- Did 40 random acts of kindness
Bonus things done that didn’t make the list
-Wrote my name on a bathroom wall in Destin, Florida
-Had dinner in the National Archives in Washington DC
-Had a custom cocktail created at the Alchemy Bar on the Carnival Magic
-Tried a Shio Salt Room at the Aria in Las Vegas
-Got a cupcake from the Cupcake ATM in Las Vegas
-Drove on Route 66
-Tried a Ganbanyoku Stone bed at the Aria in Las Vegas
– Tried Chop Chae Korean noodle dish in Grapevine Texas
As I sit here with an hour left before I turn 40 and look over this list I can’t help but smile. So many of these moments happened with no pre-planning. They just happened and each of them made an impact in my life.
I am so thankful to my Husband who supported my ideas and just nodded when I through out all the crazy things I was going to do. I am pretty sure there were moments when John wasn’t sure what I was going to suggest next.
I am so thankful to my parents who joined me on a few of these and let me surprise them. I am so thankful to the amazing friends that helped me along the way. And to the destinations that supported me in my quest to try new things while visiting them.
Today I am 40 and today I start a new journey! I am not sure what it will be but I know it will be amazing. This 40 before 40 adventure/challenge/goal/dream truly made me realize that when you put your mind towards something, when you set goals and when you dream anything is possible!