Today I am 40! Oh my goodness! WOW!
Here it is...my 40 before 40 lists, challenges I pushed myself to do and milestones accomplished!
This list was not easy to accomplish, but I am so happy that I did it. Many of these experiences pushed me not to let fear stop me, pushed me outside my comfort zone (Hello getting a Brazilian wax and taking a Stripper 101 pole dancing class in Las Vegas) but more on those later!
If you are thinking about making a life list, a 40 before 40 lists, a 50 before 50 lists or really any age or goal list I URGE YOU TO DO IT! Seriously! When I started this project, it was on a complete whim with no real plan. I didn't have 40 things in my head I wanted to do. I wasn't even sure what I was going to count as being on the list I just dove in and went with it.
Doing this list pushed me to agree to do things I would never have done in the past, It pushed me to realize that some of my fears were a bit extreme, and I wasn't going to die just from doing the experience, it also pushed me to really look at myself and what I wanted to accomplish.
Friends, family, and my amazing Husband pushed me, motivated me and joined me on many of these experiences. If you do a list, I highly suggest including your spouse, friends, and family in the making of it if you can.
40 Before 40
Some of the things on this list never would have happened if I didn't set the goal of doing 40 new things. I have always wanted to do a lot of these things but let fear, money, or common sense stop me from doing them. Other things happened simply because I put it out there that I wanted to do 40 new things and friends/family pushed me in the right direction.
Your list can be whatever you want it to be! Big, small, crazy, or things you have always wanted to try. I am already thinking about doing a 50 before 50 list. Heck I might try and do a 41 before 41 list. I needed the push from making this list to step outside my comfort zone and make things happen. Who knows what is next but I have a few ideas!
So here it is! My 40 before 40 list, challenges and milestones!
- Visit Sint Maarten - New country
- Had a chest x-ray done at sea
- Drove a Lexus on a race track 100+ mph in Palm Springs
- I went to a paint and wine event..did this twice! Grapevine, Texas and on the Fathom Adonia
- Took a trip down an ice slide in Grapevine, Texas!
- Tried glass blowing in Grapevine, Texas
- Rode in a limo in Las Vegas
- Renewed our wedding vows with Elvis in Las Vegas
- Painted on a silk scarf in Lake Charles, Louisiana
- Painted on a dead fish in Lake Charles, Louisiana
- Taught English in the Dominican Republic with Fathom
- Worked in a chocolate factory in the Dominican Republic with Fathom
- Tried acupuncture on the Fathom Adonia
- Took guided meditation classes on the Fathom Adonia
- Got a fish pedicure in Rhodes, Greece
- Tried a Thai Poultice massage on the Carnival Vista
- Rode a cable car in San Fransisco
- Attended a pirate festival in Lake Charles, Louisiana
- I had a couple of Thai massages in Bangkok, Thailand and didn't cry!
- Swam naked in a private bungalow in Thailand
- Attended my 1st retreat with other woman business owners
- Tried fried bourbon in Lake Charles, Louisiana
- Spoke to a College Business Class at Washington State University about social media and running your own business
- Had a spray tan
- Got a Brazilian Wax
- Tried a 3-day juice cleanse
- Went stand up paddleboarding in Cozumel, Mexico
- Went Cave Tubing in Belize
- Had a numerology report run
- Ordered DNA Testing through Ancestry.com
- Took a seaplane ride over Seattle
- Went parasailing in Tacoma, Washington with my Mom
- Tried a float tank
- Attended football 101 in Stillwater, Oklahoma
- Took a Stripper 101 class in Las Vegas
- Visited Dry Bar in Vegas and had my hair done
- Visited the Ice Bar for a cocktail in Vegas
- Attended a Hollywood Movie premiere party for The BFG
- Paid off 100% of my debt
- Did 40 random acts of kindness
Bonus things done that didn't make the list
-Wrote my name on a bathroom wall in Destin, Florida
-Had dinner in the National Archives in Washington DC
-Had a custom cocktail created at the Alchemy Bar on the Carnival Magic
-Tried a Shio Salt Room at the Aria in Las Vegas
-Got a cupcake from the Cupcake ATM in Las Vegas
-Drove on Route 66
-Tried a Ganbanyoku Stone bed at the Aria in Las Vegas
- Tried Chop Chae Korean noodle dish in Grapevine Texas
As I sit here with an hour left before I turn 40 and look over this list I can't help but smile. So many of these moments happened with no pre-planning. They just happened and each of them made an impact in my life.
I am so thankful to my Husband who supported my ideas and just nodded when I throughout all the crazy things I was going to do. I am pretty sure there were moments when John wasn't sure what I was going to suggest next.
I am so thankful to my parents who joined me on a few of these and let me surprise them. I am so thankful to the amazing friends that helped me along the way. And to the destinations that supported me in my quest to try new things while visiting them.
Today I am 40 and today I start a new journey! I am not sure what it will be but I know it will be amazing. This 40 before 40 adventure/challenge/goal/dream truly made me realize that when you put your mind towards something, when you set goals and when you dream anything is possible!