How to make a homemade Twinkies Recipe! This recipe tastes amazing! This Twinkie Recipe is perfect for those days you can't make it to the store or you want to make a twinkie from scratch.
Homemade Twinkies Recipe
Do you remember back in 2012 when Hostess said they may not make it and production of Twinkies and other Hostess products stopped causing nationwide panic? People were selling boxes of Twinkies for hundreds of dollars and everyone thought the world was coming to an end.
It is hard to believe that was 8 years ago! I created this homemade Twinkie Recipe during this national Twinkie emergency. Everyone was panicking and I thought it would be fun to see if I could recreate this childhood favorite at home.
Eight years later this is still one of our most popular copycat recipes. You will not believe how easy it is to make this recipe!
2012 Twinkie Crisis......
John and I went looking for Twinkies or any Hostess products today just to see if the stores around Spokane would have any.
We visited 5 grocery stores and did not find a single Twinkie or cupcake. We did find some Hostess fruit cake at one store.
I decided to see if I could make homemade Twinkies. As I was getting the ingredients together I started looking through a tub of cake pans my Mom brought over a few weeks ago.
I was so excited to find the Norpro 3964 Cream Canoe Pan With Bonus 9 Piece Decorating Set in the bucket.
I called my Mom and told her how perfect it was. She said she has had the pan for years and never used it. I love that something she was not using is just what I was looking for!
After checking eBay and seeing that boxes of Twinkies are selling for $100.00+ a box I am so happy to share this recipe.
Don't miss these copycat Hostess Chocolate Cupcakes!
Twinkies Cake ingredients:
- Instant vanilla pudding mix
- Yellowcake mix
- Cream cheese
- Confectioners' sugar
- Frozen whipped topping
- Vanilla extract
Norpro 3964 Cream Canoe Pan - This pan is the perfect shape and you can make 8 Twinkies at a time.
Icing Injector - This will make it easier to fill the homemade twinkies. You can try using a pastry bag with an icing tip but I always end up making a mess when I try this method.
I have to say I think these Home Made Twinkies taste better than the original ones.
They are light and fluffy and taste fresh. If you are looking for other Hostess recipes check out The Twinkies Cookbook: An Inventive and Unexpected Recipe Collection from Hostess and The Wonder Bread Cookbook: An Inventive And Unexpected Recipe Collection from Wonder on Amazon. They both look like they are filled with really fun recipes to make at home.
Great Copy Cat Recipes
Homemade Twinkie Recipe
- 4 eggs
- ½ cup butter melted and cooled to lukewarm
- 1 cup water
- 5.1 ounces instant vanilla pudding mix
- 18.25 ounce yellow cake mix
- ½ cup butter room temperature
- 8 oz cream cheese room temperature
- 5 cups confectioners sugar sifted
- 8 oz Cool Whip thawed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat an oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C)
- Beat the eggs until combined; stir in the melted butter. Add the water, pudding mix, and yellow cake mix, stirring well to combine.
- The batter will be very thick. Divide the batter between the prepared pans, spreading it evenly.
- Bake until the cakes spring back when pressed lightly with a finger or a tester comes out clean, 15 to 20 minutes. Cool completely on wire racks.
Twinkie Filling Instructions
- To make the filling, combine the room-temperature butter, cream cheese, and confectioners' sugar. Beat until smooth. Stir in the whipped topping and vanilla extract.
- I used the injector kit that comes with the Norpro 3964 Cream Canoe Pan to fill each of the cakes
Recipe originally shared on November 17, 2012. Updated in September 2020.