A funny thing happened in my kitchen…..I was making these super cute Red Heart Valentine’s Day Cookies and John walked in and said, “oh how sweet! These are wonderful!”
I instantly had a moment of panic. I mean deep in my bones oh my goodness did I forget his birthday, our anniversary panic…
Dates started rolling through my mind. Our anniversary is in September, His birthday is in May, oh my goodness what did I forget…
I must have had a look of pure panic on my face because John started laughing at me. He asked what was wrong and I didn’t really want to tell him I might have forgotten something so I just smiled.
Turns out he just thought the cookies were really cute and perfect for Valentine’s day.
Thank goodness I did not miss a big day and have him tease me for the next year that I can’t even remember our anniversary.
Ok, Now that we have that all figured out let’s talk for a moment about these ah-mazing Red Heart Valentine’s Day Cookies…..
These cookies are ah-mazing! So easy to make and so much fun!
I made our normal sugar cookie recipe this year at Christmas and I just wasn’t happy with it. It didn’t turn out the way I had hoped it would.
Thankfully with a bit of tweaking this Valentine’s Day Sugar Cookie turned out ah-mazing!
I used a Linzer Cookie Cutter to make the cookie shape and the heart in the middle. They were so easy to use and turned out fantastic.
Great Valentine’s Day Recipes
Red Heart Valentine’s Day Cookie Recipe
1 cup Smart Balance Buttery Spread Original
1 cup sugar
3 large eggs
3 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
2 tsp cream of tartar
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
Sprinkles and icing for decorating the cookies
1. Cream together Smart Balance Buttery Spread original and sugar.
2. Add 3 eggs and blend well
3. Sift together flour, salt, soda and cream of tartar
4. Add in the flour mixture gradually to the creamy buttery goodness in your mixing bowl
5. Add vanilla and chill dough
6. Roll out the dough and cut with cookie cutters, I used a Linzer Cookie Cutter to get the layered hearts
7. Place on ungreased cookie sheet, bake at 325 degrees for 6-8 minutes
Once cool assemble the cookies.
I used red icing to fill in the cookies. I also thought about using strawberry jam but did not have any in the house.
Red Heart Valentine's Day Cookies
- Cream together Smart Balance Buttery Spread original and sugar.
- Add 3 eggs and blend well
- Sift together flour, salt, soda and cream of tartar
- Add in the flour mixture gradually to the creamy buttery goodness in your mixing bowl
- Add vanilla and chill dough
- Roll out dough and cut with cookie cutters, I used a Linzer Cookie Cutter to get the layered hearts
- Place on ungreased cookie sheet, bake at 325 degrees for 6-8 minutes
- Once cool assemble the cookies.
Originally posted January 2014