Easy Crockpot French Onion soup is filled with flavor and tastes amazing. The slow cooker makes this recipe so easy to make. It is the perfect soup to come home to after a long day at work.
Crockpot French Onion Soup
My dear Husband loves Crockpot French Onion Soup. Every time we take a cruise he looks forward to the evening they serve French Onion Soup.
Since we sadly do not have a cruise on our schedule right now I figured I would try my hand at making his favorite soup.
Well you know I had to give it my own spin and make it in the crockpot.
So without further ado…Crock Pot French Onion Soup
One of the best things about this slow cooker French Onion Soup Recipe is how easy it is to make. The only thing you do that is not in the slow cooker is cooking the onions to make caramelized onions on the stovetop. You can also do this in your slow cooker if you have one that is a multi-cooker.
This recipe only takes a few ingredients including sliced onions, butter, sugar, and broth. When the slow cooker French Onion Soup is done you will want a few bread slices and good cheese to broil over the top to finish it off.
- Beef broth
- french bread
- Gruyere cheese or Swiss cheese
The hardest part of this entire recipe is chopping up the onions. They always make me tear up and have red eyes for a while. Let me know if you have any ideas on helping stop crying from onions.
When you put the soup bowls in the oven to toast the bread and cheese make sure to put them on a baking sheet. This will make it a lot easier to remove them from the oven.
What are the best onions to use for French Onion Soup?
I like to use regular white onions for Slow Cooker French Onion Soup. Sweet onions tend to make the soup a bit too sweet for us.
Can you make Vegetarian Slow Cooker French Onion Soup?
Yes, You can switch out the beef stock for vegetable stock.
Crockpot Soup Recipes
Crockpot French Onion Soup Recipe
- Melt butter in large skillet over medium heat, add onions, cover and cook until onions are tender and transparent but not browned
- Sprinkle sugar over onions, cook and stir 8 -10 minutes until onions are caramelized
- Pour onions into the crock pot
- Stir in beef broth and cook on low for 8 hours or high for 6 hours
- Preheat broiler, ladle soup into individual soup bowl, top with a slice of French Bread with cheese on top
- Place under broiler until cheese is melted and bubbly
Recipe originally shared on February 4, 2014. Updated on May 4, 2020.