This Crock Pot Butternut Apple Soup Recipe is simply delish! Pretty darn easy to make and tastes amazing. Perfect for the cold evenings we have been having.
The only hard thing with this recipe is the butternut squash. It takes a bit to peel, de-seed and chop the squash. Or at least it did for me. I may have just gotten the world’s toughest butternut squash to work with. John walked into the kitchen and I was having words with the squash. Yes I talked to it and was asking it to please co-operate because it was all over the place as I tried to chop it up.
I guess that is what happens when you try to chop squash before your first cup of hot tea in the morning. Note to self. Make sure and have at least one cup of chai before attempting to tackle the next butternut squash I work with.
Enough chatting about my wrestling with a squash……
I hope you enjoy today’s crock pot butternut squash apple soup recipe! Oh the recipe says to garnish with swiss cheese. One thing I found with this soup is since it is blended and pureed there is no chunky veggies to hold the cheese up on the top of the soup. Don’t be surprised if as soon as you garnish with swiss cheese the cheese goes swimming right down to the bottom. There is a chunk of cheese in the soup pictured below and none of it wanted to float for a photo.
Crock Pot Butternut Apple Soup Recipe
1 tbsp olive oil
2 onions, chopped
4 garlic cloves, minced
2 tsp dried rosemary leaves
1/2 tsp cracked black peppercorns
5 cups chicken or vegetable stock
1 butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cubed
2 granny smith apples, cored, peeled and chopped
1 cup shredded swiss cheese
1. In a skillet cook onions over medium heat until softened, add in garlic, rosemary and peppercorns and cook for 1 minute. Pour into crock pot.
2. add in chicken stock, stir in squash and apples.
3. Cook on low for 8 hours until squash is tender
4. Puree soup in blender or food processor, be careful to hold the lid with a towel so the hot soup does not splash out.
Top with swiss cheese
We use either the Hamilton Beach Set ‘n Forget Programmable Slow Cooker, 6-Quart or Crock-Pot 5-Quart Slow Cooker for all of our crock pot recipes
- In a skillet cook onions over medium heat until softened, add in garlic, rosemary and peppercorns and cook for 1 minute. Pour into crock pot.
- add in chicken stock, stir in squash and apples.
- Cook on low for 8 hours until squash is tender
- Puree soup in blender or food processor, be careful to hold the lid with a towel so the hot soup does not splash out.
- Top with swiss cheese