Delicious Crockpot Port Braised Beef Short Ribs are the perfect dinner! The slow cooker makes these fall off the bone short ribs easy to make and they taste amazing.
Crockpot Port Braised Beef Short Ribs Recipe
One of my favorite things to cook with is Tinta Port. It is absolutely delicious and perfect for pairing with these short ribs.
Tinta Port is produced by Ficklin Vineyards in Madera, California. They are part of the Madera Wine Trail and one of our favorite wineries to visit.
This family winery has been producing port wines for over 70 years.
I have to confess that I first made this port braised short rib recipe over a year ago and then promptly lost all of my recipe notes by putting the papers in the wrong folder. Thankfully while spring cleaning I found all of my notes and can finally share this epic recipe.
We have made so many great recipes with Tinta Port including Tinta Port Carrot Cake and Port Wine Banana Bread.
I need to plan a return trip to Madera County so I can stock up on more Tinta Port. I am down to my last bottle and trying to decide the best recipe to make with it plus have some for sipping on. It is sooooo good! Honestly, I had to hide the bottle from my husband because he likes to sip on Tinta Port and I like to cook with it. Since I am down to my last bottle I hid it until I decide what to make with it.
Don't worry he has some amazing Madera Wine Trail wines from our last trip to Oakhurst and Madera County.
- Beef Short Ribs
- Vegetable Oil
- Tinta Port Wine
- Chicken Stock
- Dried Thyme
- Salt and Pepper
Make sure to get a good sear on the short ribs before placing them in the slow cooker. This will enhance the flavor of the meat and the broth.
I know it is tempting but don't lift the lid of the slow cooker. Let it sit and cook low and slow to get the best flavor.
The bones will fall out of the ribs when you go to remove them from the slow cooker. This is expected after they have cooked low and slow for 6+ hours.
We serve these port braised short ribs over a bed of mashed potatoes.
Great Crockpot Recipes
Do you love recipes? Check out our copy cat recipes, dessert recipes, and our Crock Pot Recipes.
Crockpot Port Braised Beef Short Ribs
- 4 pounds beef short ribs
- 2 Tablespoon Vegetable Oil
- 1 cup Celery diced
- 1 cup Carrots diced
- 1.5 cups Onion diced
- 4 garlic cloves diced
- 2 cups Port Wine
- 1.5 cups Chicken Stock
- ½ teaspoon Dried Thyme
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- ¼ tsp Black Pepper
- Sprinkle beef short ribs with salt and pepper evenly.
- Heat vegetable oil in a large skillet and brown short ribs for about 10 minutes. Make sure to turn short ribs on each side to get them evenly browned.
- Add short ribs to the slow cooker.
- Add celery, carrots, onions, and garlic to the skillet and cook over medium heat until browned. This will take 8-10 minutes
- Add vegetable mixture to the slow cooker. Pour in Port Wine
- Cover the slow cooker and cook on low heat for 6 to 8 hours
- Remove the short ribs from the slow cooker.
- Strain the cooking liquid into a medium sauce pan. Remove all of the solids.
- Bring the cooking liquid to a boil and let it simmer for 6 minutes until it reduces to one half.
- Pour the sauce over the short ribs and serve
Leave a Reply