You all know we love Olive Garden and its delicious soups! Today, I am sharing the final soup of the four Olive Garden offers - Copy Cat Olive Garden Chicken Gnocchi Soup!
Olive Garden Chicken Gnocchi Soup
Remember to make this Copy Cat Olive Garden Lemon Cream Cake for dessert! It is beyond delicious!
Can you tell we love Olive Garden just a bit 🙂
Check out all of the Olive Garden Recipes we have shared.
This creamy chicken gnocchi soup is one of our favorites. It is the perfect comfort food on a cold night. The flavor is amazing.
Here is a quick overview of the simple ingredients needed to make an epic CopyCat Olive Garden Gnocchi Soup! The printable recipe card at the bottom of the post includes specific measurements and step-by-step instructions.
- Olive Oil
- Garlic, Minced
- Chicken Broth
- Chicken (we use Costco rotisserie chicken cut into pieces)
- Potato Gnocchi
- Fresh Spinach
- Fresh Basil
- Large Pot
- Kitchen Spoon/Stirring Utensil
- Serving Bowl
How to Make CopyCat Olive Garden Chicken Gnocchi Soup
I've included complete instructions in the printable recipe card at the bottom of the post, but here's a quick version.
- In a large pot, heat the butter and oil over medium heat. Add in the onion, garlic, carrots, and celery. Season with salt and pepper and cook
- Add the flour and stir into the vegetables. Cook
- Stir in chicken broth, followed by carrots and celery.
- Add the chicken, simmer
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook the gnocchi in a separate pot according to the package, then add them to the soup with the spinach.
- Simmer until the spinach wilts. Stir in basil.
- Garnish with Parmesan cheese.
Preparation and Storage
Make-Ahead + Storage: This Copycat Olive Garden Chicken Gnocchi Soup is make-ahead-friendly! Refrigerate leftovers in an airtight container, and enjoy them within four days.
Freezing/How to Freeze: Transfer any freezer-bound leftover chicken gnocchi soup to an airtight, freezer safe container or bag, and enjoy them within three months.
While dairy isn’t typically the best candidate for freezing since it separates when thawed, the roux in this soup makes it safe for the freezer.
How to Reheat: Thaw any leftovers overnight in the refrigerator, then reheat them using your microwave or stovetop, depending on how many portions you’re serving. You can add broth as needed to loosen it to your desired consistency.
Substitutions: We use Costco rotisserie chicken for efficiency and easy prep.
However, this soup would be fantastic with our CrockPot Lemon Chicken if you want to go the DIY route. You can also use vegetable broth if you don’t have chicken broth.
Low sodium chicken broth can be used to reduced the salt.
Vegetarian Option: Replace the chicken broth and chicken with plant-based alternatives to make this Olive Garden Copycat soup vegetarian.
Vegan Option: In addition to the guidance for vegetarians, vegans should replace butter and gnocchi with vegan alternatives, as gnocchi typically contains eggs.
Gluten-Free: Gluten-free eaters should swap the flour and gnocchi for gluten-free alternatives. While chicken broth is typically gluten-free, check the label if you are highly sensitive, as some brands may contain gluten-based additives.
Smaller Serving Size + Larger Group/More Servings: The written recipe yields six servings. Scale it up or down to your desired number of servings.
Make it Spicy: This recipe isn’t spicy, but you can add some paprika or red chili flakes to build heat into it.
Sugar-Free: The written recipe contains 2 grams of sugar per serving, with no single ingredient containing a sizable amount of sugar.
Tips for the Best CopyCat Olive Garden Chicken Gnocchi Soup
- We recommend making this soup with fresh veggies, as frozen veggies may turn mushy as the soup cooks.
- We like garnishing this soup with Parmesan cheese.
- The restaurant version of this Chicken Gnocchi Soup is more brothy, but I like filling mine with yumminess!
What to Serve with CopyCat Olive Garden Chicken Gnocchi Soup
Enjoy Olive Garden’s Italian twist on classic chicken noodle soup with breadsticks for a filling lunch, or pair it with our other copycat favorites from the Italian chain for a complete takeout dinner at home.
Here are some menu planning suggestions.
Desserts: CopyCat Olive Garden Lemon Cream Cake
When to Serve
- Date Night
- Italian Night
Great Recipe Collections
Crockpot Soups - All of our best soups made in the slow cooker.
Casserole Recipes - Delicious casseroles everyone will love!
Ground Beef Crockpot Recipes - Easy Ground Beef Crockpot Recipes perfect for every occasion! From family dinners to potlucks these ground beef recipes are perfect!
Bisquick Recipes - Everything from breakfast to snacks, to comfort food, and more! All of these recipes with Bisquick are made with simple ingredients and are quick and easy recipes!
Leftover Ham Recipes - Are you wondering what to do with Leftover Ham? Don't worry; these leftover ham recipes are perfect for making the most of your holiday ham!
Copy Cat Olive Garden Chicken Gnocchi Soup Recipe
- 3 Tablespoon Butter
- 2 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- ¾ cup Onion diced
- ½ cup Carrots diced
- ½ cup Celery diced
- 4 cloves Garlic minced
- ⅓ cup All Purpose Flour
- 4 cups Chicken Broth
- 2-3 cups Chicken we use Costco rotisserie chicken cut into pieces
- 1-2 pound gnocchi
- 3 cups spinach stems removed
- 1 Tablespoon fresh basil chopped
- Parmesan cheese for garnish
- In a large pot, heat the butter and oil over medium heat. Add in the onion, garlic, carrots, and celery. Season with salt and pepper and cook until tender, about 10 minutes
- Add in the flour and stir into the vegetables, cook for 3 minutes, stirring often
- Stir in chicken broth, followed by ½ and ½
- Add in the chicken, bring to a simmer and maintain for 20 minutes, stirring often
- Season with salt and pepper to taste
- Cook the gnocchi in a separate pot according to the package, add them to the soup with the spinach
- Simmer until the spinach wilts, stir in basil
- Garnish with Parmesan Cheese
Recipe originally shared March 8, 2016.