Here’s an easy slow cooker Corned Beef and Cabbage paired with potatoes! It’s an excellent dish for St. Patrick’s Day or any day of the year.
Crockpot Corned Beef and Cabbage
I may have become the wife of the year in John's eyes with this Slow Cooker Crock Pot Corned Beef and Cabbage Recipe! So easy to make, the slow cooker does all the work!
Perfect for St. Patrick's Day or any day of the week! I hopefully hold that title every day.
I can not count the number of times John told me this is his favorite recipe I have ever made. After each bite, he kept telling me how much he loved it. Even the next day, eating leftovers, he told me how much he loved the Crock Pot Easy Corned Beef and Cabbage Recipe!
So easy to make, the slow cooker does all the work! Perfect for St. Patrick's Day or any day of the week!
Yes, we have a regular Slow Cooker Saturday lunch at our house. We invite our loved ones over, and they get to try whatever recipe I am making for the weekend in the Crock-Pot.
This Corned Beef recipe comes out so tender and packed with flavor. Serve with your favorite vegetables and Irish Beer.
The meat should slice easily or fall apart in chunks depending on how long it cooks.
Here is a quick overview of the simple ingredients needed to make an epic CrockPot Corned Beef and Cabbage! The printable recipe card at the bottom of the post includes specific measurements and step-by-step instructions.
- Baby Red Potatoes
- Corned Beef Brisket with Seasoning Packet
- Salt and Pepper
Optional Add-Ins: Carrots
Beer - If you are not a fan of cooking with beer, you can use beef broth or chicken broth.
What is in a corned beef spice packet?
The spice packet that comes with corned beef is to help flavor the beef.
Corned Beef Spice packets normally include fresh spices like mustard, coriander, black peppercorns, bay leaf, cinnamon, dill, cloves, all spice, fennel, and a hint of chili powder!
- CrockPot: We suggest using a 6-quart crockpot with a digital timer that automatically switches the slow cooker to warm after a set time to ensure your dinner cooks perfectly without stressing about cooking time.
- Kitchen Spoon/Stirring Utensil
How to Make CrockPot Corned Beef and Cabbage
I've included complete instructions in the printable recipe card at the bottom of the post, but here's a quick version.
- Place onions and potatoes in the bottom of the Crock-Pot.
- Pour in water and place brisket on top.
- Pour about half a can or bottle of beer over brisket.
- Sprinkle brisket with spices, then set Crock-Pot on high.
- Cook on high. An hour before serving, stir in cabbage pieces and place the lid back on the CrockPot.
Preparation and Storage
Make-Ahead: This recipe is make-ahead-friendly! It takes eight hours to cook in your slow cooker, meaning you have plenty of idle time or time to work on other menu items once you add all the ingredients to the Crock Pot.
Storage: Transfer leftovers to the refrigerator in an airtight container and enjoy them within three to four days.
Freezing/How to Freeze: Freeze leftover portions in an airtight, freezer-safe container and enjoy them within three months.
How to Reheat: Reheat your leftover Corned Beef and Cabbage using your microwave or oven, depending on how many servings you need to prepare. Let frozen leftovers thaw overnight in the fridge to ensure they reheat evenly.
We used an IPA, but you can use your favorite beer. If you do not like cooking with beer, you can use beef or chicken broth.
Vegetarian + Vegan Option: Replace the corned beef brisket with a meatless alternative to make this recipe vegetarian and vegan.
Gluten-Free: Use a gluten-free beer or beer alternative, like gluten-free beef or chicken broth, to make this St. Patrick’s Day recipe gluten-free.
Alcohol-Free Option: Use a non-alcoholic beer or replace it with beef or chicken broth to make this recipe alcohol-free.
Smaller Serving Size + Larger Group/More Servings: The written recipe makes eight servings. Scale it up or down to your desired yield, keeping in mind that you may need to work in batches according to the size of your slow cooker if you scale up.
Make It Spicy: Corned beef spice packets often include chili powder, so add more chili powder to spice up this recipe.
Sugar-Free: The written recipe contains 6 grams of sugar per serving. The final sugar content will depend on the sugar in your spice packet and beer, so check the labels on these ingredients before starting.
Tips for the Best CrockPot Corned Beef and Cabbage
- A corned beef spice packet is a spice packet that comes with corned beef to help flavor the meat. Corned beef spice packets usually include fresh spices like mustard, coriander, black peppercorns, bay leaf, cinnamon, dill, cloves, allspice, fennel, and chili powder!
- We have a ton of the best Crock Pot recipes on the blog. This dish is one of our favorite recipes to make. Everyone loves this Corned Beef and Cabbage slow cooker recipe. It is so easy to make and tastes fantastic!
What to Serve with CrockPot Corned Beef and Cabbage
This CrockPot Corned Beef and Cabbage is a must-have entree for St. Patrick’s Day! Here are some menu planning suggestions for all-day Irish-inspired feasting.
When to Serve
- St. Patrick’s Day
- Irish Feast
Great St. Patrick’s Day Recipes
Here are some drinks to go with them!
See all of our St. Patrick's Day recipes!
Slow Cooker Crock Pot Corned Beef and Cabbage Recipe
- 10 Baby red potatoes quartered
- 1 Onion peeled cut into pieces
- 4 Cups Water
- 4 pounds corned beef brisket with spice packet
- 6 ounces Beer we used an IPA but you can use your favorite beer
- ½ Cabbage coarsely chopped
- Place onions and potatoes in the bottom of the Crock-Pot
- Pour in water and place brisket on top
- Pour beer over brisket, It is about a half a can
- Sprinkle brisket with spices set Crock-Pot on high
- Cook 8 hours on high, 1 hour before serving stir in cabbage pieces and recover crockpot
- Slow cooker
Originally shared February 4, 2013, updated on February 4, 2020