Easy chunky Crockpot Apple Butter Recipe! The slow cooker does all the work and you get a delicious apple butter perfect for toast, pancakes, or anything you want delicious cinnamon apple butter on.
Crock Pot Chunky Apple Butter Recipe
I love making apple butter when we have apples in danger of rotting or being forgotten. We tend to buy apples every time we go to Costco. I also love adding apples to recipes for their flavor and versatility.
You can make this chunky Crock Pot apple butter less chunky if you like smooth apple butter.
This slow-cooker apple butter is so easy to make, which we love! You dump the ingredients in the CrockPot and let it do the work. You can blend this apple butter smoothly.
We like the chunky look of this apple butter recipe and not having to clean one more thing. LOL
Here is a quick overview of the simple ingredients needed to make epic Slow Cooker Apple Butter! The printable recipe card at the bottom of the post includes specific measurements and step-by-step instructions.
- Brown Sugar
- White Sugar
- Slow Cooker
- Stirring Utensil
- Hamburger Mix and Chop, Potato Masher, or Immersion Blender
Preparation and Storage
Make-Ahead + Storage: Apple butter is the perfect homemade make-ahead spread! Refrigerate your CrockPot Apple Butter in an airtight container. We like using mason jars to keep up the rustic theme.
Freezing/How to Freeze: Freeze any leftovers in an airtight, freezer-safe container and enjoy within three months.
How to Reheat: Thaw your frozen slow-cooker apple butter overnight in the fridge or kitchen countertop until stirrable with a spoon or knife.
Substitutions: This versatile cinnamon and brown sugar apple butter recipe works with any apple variety! You can even mix chunks of different kinds of apples to create mixed apple butter.
You can use granulated sugar instead of brown sugar if desired.
Add in apple pie spice, a teaspoon nutmeg, a teaspoon ground cloves, cinnamon, vanilla extract for additional flavor.
Vegetarian Option + Vegan Option: Plant-based eaters rejoice; this recipe is vegetarian and vegan-friendly!
Gluten-Free: Since fruit is the primary ingredient, it’s also naturally gluten-free. Be sure to use white and brown sugar labeled gluten-free if this is a dietary requirement for you.
Smaller Serving Size + Larger Group/More Servings: The written recipe yields 12 servings. Scale it up or down to your desired yield, keeping in mind that you may need to prepare multiple batches if you’re scaling up.
Make it Spicy: Cayenne and ginger are fantastic complements to cinnamon and brown sugar if you want some heat in your apple butter.
Sugar-Free: This chunky apple butter contains 16 grams of sugar, some of which naturally comes from the apples. Use a sugar-free brown and white sugar alternative to lower the sugar content.
Tips for the Best Crock-Pot Apple Butter Recipe
- Feel free to change your mashing tool according to your desired consistency. Use a potato masher or hamburger mix and chop for chunky apple butter or an immersion blender for smooth apple butter.
- We use five to six apples when making this recipe. However, apples naturally come in different shapes and sizes, so your final yield may vary slightly.
- Whether you leave the skin on or peel it off is your choice, and we find that it doesn’t make a drastic difference since the CrockPot breaks down the contents while they cook, and you’ll be breaking down the mixture until smooth anyway. Leaving the skin on adds rustic flair to CrockPot Apple Butter and infuses it with good-for-you polyphenols.
- Printable recipe card instructions are below.
- Nutrition information, including calories, protein, calcium, carbohydrates, fiber, vitamin c, potassium, cholesterol, sodium, trans fat, monounsaturated fat, polyunsaturated fat, and more, will vary depending on the products used.
- Apple varieties include Gala, Fuji, Granny Smith, Golden Delicious, Mcintosh, and so many more. You can use a variety of apples or stick to one type.
What to Serve with CrockPot Apple Butter
From a spread for freshly baked bread and muffins to a mix-in for warm oatmeal, there are infinite possibilities for incorporating CrockPot Apple Butter into breakfast time. Here are some menu planning suggestions.
Sides: Homemade Apple Cinnamon Rolls, CrockPot Bourbon Banana Bread, Chocolate Chip Banana Bread, Tinta Port Wine Banana Bread, Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins, 3 Ingredient Beer Bread, Nutella Banana Bread, CrockPot Pumpkin Bread, Bacon Jalapeño Banana Bread, Apple Cider Bread
Main Dishes: Easy German Apple Pancakes, CopyCat Cracker Barrel Pecan Pancakes, French Toast Casserole, Muffin Mix Pancakes, CrockPot Apple & Raisin French Toast, CrockPot Pumpkin Oatmeal, CrockPot Carrot Cake Oatmeal, CrockPot Banana Oatmeal, CrockPot Blueberry Oatmeal
When to Serve
- Coffee or Tea Snack
- Stir into oatmeal, yogurt, or cottage cheese
- Spoon over ice cream
- Spread on graham crackers or biscuits
- Great on pork chops
Great Apple Recipes
We hope you love this easy crockpot apple butter recipe! It is great any day of the year. Perfect on pancakes, waffles, toast or anything you want a sweet apple butter added to. You can even put it on oatmeal.
Check out all of our vegetarian crockpot recipes.
Crock Pot Chunky Apple Butter Recipe
- Core apples and rough chop
- Place in slow cooker
- Add cinnamon, water, and both sugars
- Gently stir
- Close lid and cook 4 ½ hours on low
- Add more water if needed
- Mash with a potato masher until you get your desired consistency
Recipe originally shared on October 14, 2014. Updated on April 20, 2020, September 2023