These Funeral Sandwiches also known as easy ham and cheese sliders are a great way to use leftover ham or deli ham. They are easy to put together and taste amazing.
I am always looking for new ways to use leftover ham after the holidays. I make at least one crockpot ham for each holiday and love having leftovers that make future meals so easy to make.
My husband loves these ham and swiss sliders. You can easily make this with a different type of cheese. I tend to stick with swiss cheese since it is such a classic combination.
I have heard them called both ham and cheese sliders and funeral sandwiches. I asked a few of my husband's relatives from Alabama if they had heard of Funeral Sandwiches but they were not sure what I was talking about. Is this a term you have heard used?
- Hawaiian Buns
- Swiss Cheese
The funeral sandwiches need to marinate for at least an hour and can go up to 24 hours in the refrigerator. You can easily make these up hours before you need to serve them!
You will often see ham cheese sliders with poppyseed over the top of them. I skip the poppyseed since we have family members who can not eat seeds. If you like poppyseed you can add them over the top before baking.
We also change out the dijon mustard for yellow mustard if we have relatives that can't have seeds just to make sure they don't get any in the dijon mustard.
You can use leftover holiday ham or deli ham it is really up to you. We like it with the thick leftover ham or with thinly sliced deli ham.
You can use sliced or shredded swiss cheese. I tend to use whatever I have in the house.
I like to break up the Hawaiian Rolls before baking so they are easy to serve. You can also cut them in half and keep them connected so the bottoms are separate from the tops and bake them that way.
This is a dish you can adapt to what you love! If you want a ton of cheese go for it, deli ham versus leftover ham go for it! I love that you can adapt this to your favorite flavors and what you have available.
If you have leftover turkey check out these Cranberry Turkey Sliders!
Leftover Ham Recipes
Funeral Sandwiches AKA Ham and Cheese Sliders
Brown Sugar Mustard Sauce
- 12 Hawaiian Rolls 1 package
- ¾-1 pound Ham
- 8 oz Swiss Cheese
- Poppy Seeds Optional
Brown Sugar Mustard Sauce
- Whisk together melted butter, brown sugar, mustard, and Worcestershire Sauce until combined.
- Spray baking dish with non-stick spray. Then drizzle 3-4 tablespoons of mustard sauce in the baking dish and move around to coat the bottom.
- Split Hawaiian Rolls and place the bottom rolls in the pan. Cover in half of the swiss cheese
- Cover swiss cheese with ham and then top with remaining swiss cheese.
- Place top buns on top of sandwiches, cover with remaining mustard brown sugar sauce.
- If you are adding poppy seeds sprinkle them over the top now.
- Wrap the baking pan in plastic wrap tightly and refrigerate for 1 to 24 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees when you are ready to bake the Funeral Sandwiches.
- Remove plastic wrap and bake for 15-20 minutes until the tops are golden brown. Make sure to check them at 15 minutes so they do not burn.