Crockpot Cabbage Rolls Recipe is so easy to make! These Stuffed cabbage rolls are a delicious family dinner! This slow cooker recipe combines cabbage, kielbasa, bacon, and more for a great meal! These are the perfect family dinner that is so easy to prepare.
Crockpot Cabbage Rolls Recipe
Life is crazy busy right now so anytime we can shave off time in the kitchen we are all in. I love that you can prep these easy cabbage rolls before you head out for a game or practice and come home to dinner ready to go.
Do you need more time in your life to take a deep breath and not stress? I know I do.
Ingredients to make Cabbage Rolls in the Crock-Pot
- Cabbage Sour (see notes below for using regular cabbage)
- Dill, dry
- Garlic, minced
- Pepper and Salt
- Chicken Stock
If you using a regular head of cabbage, freeze the whole head of cabbage for a few days and then let thaw overnight in a bowl. This will soften the cabbage leaves and make them more pliable.
Alternatively, you can boil the whole head of cabbage in salted boiling water, removing the outer leaves as they become soft and pliable.
IN BOTH CASES, you need to remove the core in order to remove the leaves easily. Take a paring knife and cut out the core of the cabbage, releasing it from the leaves. Freezing is much a much easier method, it just takes time for it to freeze and thaw.
Great Crockpot Recipes
Check out these other easy crockpot dinner recipes that will hopefully save you time, energy, and stress!
Crockpot Cabbage Rolls Recipe
- 6 oz. Kielbasa diced
- ½ Cup Bacon diced + about 6 raw bacon
- 3 ribs Celery diced
- ½ Onion diced
- 1 head Cabbage Sour see notes below for using regular cabbage
- 4 Cups Rice cooked, cooled
- 1 Tsp. Dill dry
- 2 tsp Garlic minced
- Pepper as desired. same with salt only if you use regular cabbage. If you use sour cabbage, do not salt.
- 1– 2 Cups Chicken Stock
- In a frying pan, sauté garlic, Kielbasa, ½ C bacon, celery, and onion until soft.
- Add rice and dill, salt and pepper.
- Mix well. Set aside to cool.
- Open the package of sour cabbage, drain excess liquid.
- Peel off the leaves carefully and give them a rinse.
- In the center of the larger leaves, there is a large “rib”. It’s tough and needs to be removed. Using a knife, cut along the sides of the rib to remove it, and then continue to slice the leaf in half.
- For the smaller leaves, if the rib is still tender, break it by pushing on it to have the leaf lie flat.
- Grease the slow cooker bowl and lay 3 – 4 strips of bacon on the bottom. Set aside.
- When the filling is cooled, spoon approximately 2 – 3 tbsp. of the filling and lay it on the center of the leaf, with the leaf laying lengthwise. Fold from the bottom to cover the filling, and then fold in the sides, much like an envelope. Continue to roll upwards, keeping the leaf tight around the filling.
- Lay these rolls seam side down in the slow cooker bowl.
- Continue rolling and placing the cabbage in the bowl on one level, and then start to stack them, still placing them seam side down, until you run out of filling and or leaves.
- Cover the cabbage rolls with the remaining bacon and slowly pour in 1 – 2 cups of chicken stock.
- Cover with the lid and cool on low for approximately 4 -5 hours.
- After two hours, remove the lid and check liquid levels. Add adding more stock if it’s running low.
- Garnish with bacon and onions if desired.
Recipe originally shared on August 6, 2016. Updated January 2021.