Start your day with Funfetti Birthday Cake Pancakes! These easy cake mix pancakes are perfect for celebrating birthdays or special occasions. It only takes five ingredients to prepare these Funfetti pancakes.
Funfetti Birthday Cake Pancakes
If the past year has taught us anything, we need to celebrate every day for the gift that it is. I wanted to surprise my husband with super fun birthday cake mix pancakes just to see him giggle.
These Funfetti Pancakes combine with cake mix, eggs, flour, oil, and milk. You only need a few pantry essentials to whip these up.
After making Funfetti Cake Mix Cookies, I started thinking about the other fun ways to use a Funfetti Cake Mix. LOL! What else would come to mind when you stay home 24/7 and spend most of your time playing in the kitchen? I also made Funfetti Cake Dip, which is dangerously delicious.
My husband loved and had so much fun with these birthday cake pancakes. He has been such a trooper as I have been making new recipes and testing new things. I will fully admit that we share only a few recipe failures that have happened in our kitchen. We are proud of many of our shares, but some are not so pretty.
Thankfully, these funfetti cake batter pancakes turned out fantastic and tasted amazing. They are the perfect birthday breakfast surprise. How can you go wrong with fluffy pancakes with sprinkles in them?
Here is a quick overview of the simple ingredients for making epic Funfetti Pancakes! The printable recipe card at the bottom of the post includes specific measurements and step-by-step instructions.
- Funfetti Cake Mix
- Vegetable Oil
Toppings: Whipped Cream, More Colorful Sprinkles, Rainbow Sprinkles, Maple Syrup, Powdered Sugar, Ice Cream, blueberries, chocolate chips, strawberries
Cake Mix: I made these with a Funfetti cake mix you could also make them with red velvet cake mix, chocolate, vanilla, or really any flavor that sounds good.
If you don't have any cake mix available you can also use buttermilk pancake mix or your favorite pancake recipe and add in a ton of sprinkles to get the same look.
- Large or Medium Bowl: I like to use a large mixing bowl because I tend to make a mess, and a big bowl helps contain all the ingredients.
- Wooden Spoon/Mixing Spoon
- Griddle/Frying Pan or Electric Griddle
How to Make Funfetti Pancakes
I've included complete instructions in the printable recipe card at the bottom of the post, but here's a quick version.
- Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl.
- Heat a griddle or pan to medium-low heat. Pour pancake batter onto the pan and cook until bubbles start to appear. Flip pancakes carefully.
- Continue until cooked all the way through.
Preparation and Storage
Make Ahead: Because of the leavening agents in the cake mix, it is best to cook these Funfetti Pancakes as soon as you make the batter.
Storage: Refrigerate leftovers in an airtight container and enjoy them within three days.
Freezing/How to Freeze: You can freeze these pancakes for up to three months. Store them in an airtight, freezer-safe container or Ziploc bag with a layer of parchment paper between each to make grabbing individual servings easy.
How to Reheat: You can reheat leftover pancakes using the microwave. Begin with 20-second increments and adjust according to your microwave’s power.
If you don't have any cake mix available, you can use pancake mix and add a ton of sprinkles to get the same look.
I made these with a Funfetti cake mix; you could also make them with red velvet, chocolate, vanilla, or any cake mix flavor you enjoy, and add colored sprinkles to keep the funfetti theme.
Vegetarian Option: This recipe is naturally vegetarian.
Vegan Option: Replace the eggs, milk, and Funfetti cake mix with plant-based alternatives to make these pancakes vegan.
Gluten-Free: Gluten-free eaters should replace the Funfetti cake mix and flour with gluten-free substitutes to make it safe for a gluten-free diet.
Smaller Serving Size + Larger Group/More Servings: The written recipe makes eight servings and adjusts quickly to however many you need to make. Scale it up or down to your desired yield.
Sugar-Free: The written recipe contains 24 grams of sugar per serving. Use a sugar-free Funfetti cake mix to make it sugar-free.
Tips for the Best Funfetti Pancakes
- I used a basic Funfetti cake mix to make these pancakes. If you want your pancakes to pop with sprinkles, add more before baking, and then top the pancakes with whipped cream and more sprinkles because you can not have too many sprinkles.
- The best way to cook these pancakes is low and slow. If you cook them too quickly, you will get dark brown pancakes, and the Funfetti/sprinkles may not show until you cut into them.
- Butter works better for me than non-stick cooking spray when using funfetti or vanilla cake mix. It doesn't turn as brown, so you can still see the sprinkles inside the pancakes.
- If you want even-sized pancakes, I like to use a ¼ cup or ½ cup measuring cup of batter and measure out each pancake so they are even.
- Amazon has some adorable Happy Birthday cake toppers you could put on top of a stack of these cake mix pancakes.
- Add another ¼ to ½ cup of milk if you want a more liquid batter. I like to keep the batter to a thicker consistency so it is easier to flip the pancakes.
What to Serve with Funfetti Pancakes
These birthday cake-inspired pancakes begin with a box of cake mix and are a fantastic sweet treat for a birthday breakfast, or anytime you need a colorful, eye-catching pick-me-up. Here are some menu planning suggestions.
Sides: Sausage Breakfast Biscuit Cups, Cinnamon Roll Waffles, Bacon Gravy, Crock Pot Cinnamon Roll Monkey Bread, Air Fryer Hash Browns, CrockPot Cheesy Hashbrowns, Muffin Mix Pancakes, CrockPot Cinnamon Roll Monkey Bread, Easy Fruit Salad
Main Dishes: French Toast Casserole, Apple & Raisin French Toast, Crock Pot Carrot Cake Oatmeal, Caprese Eggs Benedict, Slow Cooker Banana Oatmeal, CrockPot Breakfast Casserole, Crock Pot Ham and Cheese Grits, Sausage, Biscuit, and Gravy Casserole
When to Serve
- Breakfast for Dinner
Great Recipe Collections
Easy Cake Mix Recipes - You won't believe all the things you can make with cake mix.
Comfort Food Recipes - The best comfort foods you can make at home.
Dessert Recipes with 5 Ingredients (Or Less!) - These easy desserts take less than 5 ingredients.
3-Ingredient Recipes - Easy recipes for dinner, dessert, appetizers, and more that only take 3 ingredients.
Funfetti Cake Mix Pancakes
- Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl.
- Heat a griddle or pan to medium low heat. Pour pancake batter onto pan and cook until bubbles start to appear. Flip pancakes carefully
- Continue until cooked all the way through