Easy Crockpot Cinnamon Roll Monkey Bread is a slow cooker dessert recipe that’s crazy easy to make and always tastes amazing.
Crockpot Cinnamon Roll Monkey Bread Recipe
One of the first slow cooker recipes we ever made was our classic Crockpot Monkey Bread which went viral. I was craving monkey bread this week and realized we didn't have any refrigerator biscuits but we did have refrigerator cinnamon rolls.
I decided to throw caution to the wind and make slow cooker cinnamon roll monkey bread. I figured if it didn't work out it wasn't that big of a deal the house would still smell amazing while it cooked. With all the crazy happening in the world, I have decided if I go into things with a low expectation then I am filled with great joy when they work out. LOL!
Thankfully this Pillsbury cinnamon roll monkey bread turned out delicious and we face planted in it.
Cinnamon Roll Monkey Bread Ingredients
This is a quick overview of the simple ingredients that you'll need to make Slow Cooker Cinnamon Roll Monkey Bread! Specific measurements and step-by-step instructions are included in the printable recipe card at the bottom of the post.
- Refrigerated Cinnamon Rolls
- Unsalted Butter
- Light Brown Sugar
- Crock Pot
- Large Mixing Bowl
- Non-Stick Cooking Spray
How to Make Crockpot Cinnamon Roll Monkey Bread
I've included complete instructions in the printable recipe card at the bottom of the post, but here's a quick version.
- Spray your Crockpot with non-stick cooking spray.
- Cut the refrigerator cinnamon rolls
- Combine the white sugar, brown sugar, and ground cinnamon into a bowl.
- Place the cinnamon roll pieces in a large bowl, then pour the melted butter over each and toss until fully coated.
- Pour the cinnamon and sugar mix over the cinnamon roll pieces and toss to combine.
- Pour the cinnamon roll pieces into your sprayed-down slow cooker.
- Cover and cook
- Drizzle with icing
Preparation and Storage
Make Ahead: You can make this monkey bread recipe ahead of time by cutting the unbaked cinnamon roll dough into quarters and refrigerating the pieces overnight in an airtight container.
We prep cinnamon-sugar mixture ahead of time and store it with our spices so we can add it to all the things.
Storage: Got leftovers? Store them in an airtight container and enjoy them within three days.
Freezing/How to Freeze: Freeze leftover cinnamon roll monkey bread for up to three months!
How to Reheat: For the best texture, thaw leftovers overnight in the refrigerator or on your countertop for a few hours until no longer frozen. According to this guide by Bake It With Love, they also reheat in the microwave, oven, air fryer, skillet, or toaster oven.
Substitutions: While we make this recipe with Pillsbury Grands cinnamon rolls, any brand works! We cut the refrigerated cinnamon rolls into quarters. You can easily cut them in half or even cut them into eighths.
This would taste great with caramel sauce poured over it. Cream Cheese Icing also tastes fantastic.
Change it up and use pumpkin pie spice for a fun Fall dessert idea.
Vegetarian + Vegan Option: While cinnamon roll dough is vegetarian, vegans must opt for a plant-based alternative, as most brands, including Pillsbury, contain milk-derived whey protein.
Gluten-Free: Pillsbury has gluten-free cinnamon roll dough for those looking to avoid gluten.
Smaller Serving Size: Since you don’t have to worry about using the entire tube of premade dough, just use what you need and refrigerate or freeze the rest, depending on how soon you’ll use it.
Larger Group/More Servings: We use one package of refrigerator cinnamon roll dough, so use another tube to double this recipe for a larger group.
Sugar-Free: Pillsbury has a Splenda-sweetened sugar-free cinnamon roll dough if you prefer a sugar-free version. When prepared as-is, this recipe contains 13 grams of sugar.
Tips for the Best Crockpot Cinnamon Roll Monkey Bread
- When you mix the cinnamon roll pieces with the cinnamon sugar, use a medium bowl or large bowl to hold all the pieces when you stir them.
- Make sure to spray your slow cooker with non-stick cooking spray to make removing and serving the monkey bread much easier.
- If your Crockpot has a hot spot, you will want to ensure the cinnamon roll pieces do not stack up in this area. I have a hot spot on the side of my slow cooker, so I try to push the cinnamon roll pieces away from it about halfway through cooking.
- When the cinnamon roll monkey bread cools, it can get tough. You will want to serve this straight from the slow cooker or prepare to eat it before it cools down to room temperature.
- It’ll be hot when freshly cooked! Give it a few minutes to cool down once you turn the slow cooker to warm and remove the lid. You don't want to burn your tongue and be unable to taste the yummy goodness.
- We pour the icing over the top while the cinnamon roll monkey bread is still in the crockpot. That way, the heat helps disperse the icing all over the place. Hello yum!
When to Serve
- Christmas morning breakfast
- Weekend brunch
- Movie night
- Easy breakfast treat
What to Serve With Crockpot Cinnamon Roll Monkey Bread
This shortcut monkey bread recipe is a fabulous breakfast or brunch treat! Here are some menu planning ideas for building your daytime feast.
Main Dishes: Eggs in a Basket, Crockpot Breakfast Casserole, Ham and Cheese Crescent Roll Breakfast Casserole, Caprese Eggs Benedict, Crock Pot Ham & Cheese Grits, Pulled Pork Breakfast Hash, Crock Pot Greek Frittata
Great Crockpot Desserts
Crockpot Cinnamon Roll Monkey Bread
- Spray Crockpot with non-stick spray
- Cut refrigerator cinnamon rolls info quarters
- Combine Sugar, Brown Sugar, and Cinnamon in a bowl
- Place cinnamon roll pieces in a large bowl, pour melted butter over cinnamon roll pieces and toss to cover all pieces
- Pour cinnamon and sugar mix over cinnamon rolls pices and toss to combine
- Pour cinnamon roll pieces into sprayed slow cooker
- Cover and cook on low for 2 hours
- Slow cooker