These 2 Ingredient Cherry Bars are probably the easiest dessert recipe you will ever make. All you need is cherry pie filling and a box of angel food cake mix, and you are ready for a delicious dessert.
2 Ingredient Cherry Bars Recipe
With the popularity of our two-ingredient lemon bars, I decided to make the recipe in different flavors. So far, these cherry bars are my new favorite. They are perfect just in time for Valentine's Day treats!
These cherry bars are so crazy easy to make! I made them multiple times to make sure they turned out each time and that we loved them before sharing them with everyone.It has been a great week in the house, filled with recipe testing and creating. We even made two-ingredient peach bars! I am on a mission to make easy recipes this year for everyone.
Here is a quick overview of the simple ingredients for making epic 2-Ingredient Cherry Bars! The printable recipe card at the bottom of the post includes specific measurements and step-by-step instructions.
- Angel Food Cake Mix
- Cherry Pie Filling
- Mixing Bowl and Spatula
- 9 x 13 Baking Dish
- Parchment Paper: I like using this pre-cut parchment paper. It makes it easy to grab a sheet and keep baking.
How to Make 2 Ingredient Cherry Bars
I've included complete instructions in the printable recipe card at the bottom of the post, but here's a quick version.
- Combine Angel Food Cake Mix and cherry pie filling in a large bowl.
- Pour into a parchment-lined 9x13 baking pan.
- Allow to cool before cutting
Preparation and Storage
Make Ahead: Angel food cake is light and deflates once it cools and the air leaves. For presentation purposes, you do not want to make them too far before serving, or you will serve deflated cherry cake bars.
Storage: Store leftovers of these Cherry Bars in an airtight container at room temperature for up to three days or in the fridge for up to five days.
Freezing/How to Freeze: For grab-and-go Cherry Bars, you can freeze leftovers by wrapping individual bars in plastic and foil and transferring them to a large, freezer-safe Ziploc bag. You can also cover the baking dish in plastic and foil and freeze the entire block. Enjoy leftovers within three months.
How to Reheat: Angel food cake is delicate and can remain at room temperature since it does not contain dairy. We recommend enjoying it from the fridge or at room temperature.
Substitutions: We used Pillsbury Angel Food Cake Mix since we trust this brand in many of our dessert recipes, but you can use any quality boxed angel food cake mix.
Vegetarian Option: These two-ingredient dessert bars are naturally vegetarian.
Vegan Option: Use a vegan angel food cake mix to make this recipe vegan.
Gluten-Free: Gluten-free eaters should use a gluten-free angel food cake mix and cherry pie filling to ensure this recipe is safe for a gluten-free diet.
Smaller Serving Size + Larger Group/More Servings: The written recipe makes 24 servings using one box of angel food cake mix and one 21-ounce can of cherry pie filling. You can halve, double, and triple it easily.
Make It Spicy: Add a few dashes of ground cinnamon for Cherry Pie Bars with warm spice.
The written recipe contains 12 grams of sugar per serving. Make it sugar-free with a sugar-free angel food cake mix and no-sugar-added cherry pie filling.
Please remember that nutritional information is a rough estimate and can vary significantly based on the products used.
Tips for the Best 2 Ingredient Cherry Bars
- I rub a bit of butter along the bottom of the pan and then place the parchment paper on it. It helps keep the parchment paper from moving around when you put the mix in.
- Make sure to mix these by hand. The Angel Food Cake mix is so light that if you combine it with a KitchenAid Mixer or hand mixer, you may end up with cake mix on your ceiling.
- When mixing, begin with slow movement to ensure the cake mix stays in the bowl and doesn't fly all over the counter. I made the mistake the first time I made these of really getting into mixing, and well, I had a messy counter to clean up afterward.
- The Cherry Cake Bars will deflate as they cool down and the air leaves the cake. Don't worry; they still taste amazing.
What to Serve with 2 Ingredient Cherry Bars
These two-ingredient Cherry Bars made with angel food cake mix and canned cherry pie filling are an easy, no-fail way to celebrate this late summer fruit. Here are other summertime menu planning suggestions.
When to Serve
- Fourth of July
- Labor Day
- Anytime you want delicious dessert bars made from pantry staples!
Great Recipe Collections
Cherry Pie Filling Recipes - Check out a ton of desserts made with delicious cherries.
3 Ingredient Recipes - Check out all of these great recipes that only take three ingredients.
Easy Dessert Recipes with 5 Ingredients - The easiest desserts to make with less than 5 ingredients
70+ Easy Potluck Recipes - Don't stress about what to take to a holiday party or event with these great recipes.
Easy Apple Dessert Recipes - Delicious ways to use apples in desserts. You won't believe how you can use apple pie filling.
Peanut Butter Recipes - All the fun ways to use peanut butter not just in a PB&J Sandwich.
Dump Cakes - Easy Dump Cake Recipes, including crockpot dump cakes and oven-based dump cakes! These are the perfect potluck and holiday desserts.
2 Ingredient Cherry Bars
- 1 box Angel Food Cake Mix
- 21 Ounce Cherry Pie Filling
- Combine Angel Food Cake Mix and Cherry Pie filling in a large bowl
- Pour into a parchment-lined 9X13 baking pan
- Bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees
- Allow to cool before cutting