One of the things I love about travel is getting to experience new food items and customs. One food item that I have always wondered about is Crock Pot Cajun Boiled Peanuts.
When we visit the Southern U.S. I always see signs for boiled peanuts. The signs are at gas stations, truck stops, roadside stands and every place in between.
I can honestly admit I was a bit nervous to find out what Boiled Peanuts are. My lovely Husband grew up in the south and loves introducing me to new southern food and terminology. He will say things sometimes that this NW Girl just doesn’t quite get. Examples include….
-They are madder than a hoot owl
-It’s like nailing an eel to the wall
-Butter my Biscuit look who’s here
John was so excited to put together this recipe for Slow Cooker Cajun Boiled Peanuts. The Cajun Boiled Peanuts brought back so many memories for him of growing up in the south.
Crock Pot Cajun Boiled Peanuts
1 pound raw peanuts, in the shell
1 (3 ounce) package dry crab boil (such as Zatarain’s® Crab and Shrimp Boil)
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1/2 cup salt
2 tablespoons Cajun seasoning
2 tablespoons red pepper flakes
8 cups water to start
2. Pour garlic powder, salt, Cajun seasoning and red pepper flakes over the top. Stir everything together.
Scoop the peanuts out with a slotted spoon and serve in a bowl.
- 1 pound raw peanuts, in the shell
- 1 (3 ounce) package dry crab boil (such as Zatarain’s® Crab and Shrimp Boil)
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- ½ cup salt
- 2 tablespoons Cajun seasoning
- 2 tablespoons red pepper flakes
- 8 cups water to start
- Add peanuts to Crock-Pot, add in water
- Pour garlic powder, salt, Cajun seasoning and red pepper flakes over the top. Stir everything together.
- Place dry crab boil on top
- Cook in the Crock Pot for 12-24 hours. The longer they cook the stronger the flavor.
- Add water as needed to make sure the peanuts are covered.