Here’s a delicious Crock Pot Tater Tot Casserole Recipe filled with hamburger, cheese, and tater tots. This recipe is super easy to make and tastes fantastic. Six ingredients and the slow cooker does most of the work. A great family dinner, especially on busy nights!
Crockpot Tater Tot Casserole
This recipe was so much fun to make, and I love how easy the CrockPot makes it to put together a delicious Tater Tot Casserole the entire family will love. Cheesy, meaty goodness that everyone loves! This slow cooker recipe is in our top crockpot recipe rotation to make for dinner as often as possible.
It is so easy to make and tastes so good! There is something so delicious about the combination of tater tots, hamburger meat, and cheese.
Who am I kidding–maybe let's be honest and just admit that tater tots make almost anything taste great? Lol! 🙂
I can't believe we first shared this recipe back in February 2013.
We are still having so much fun using the Crock-Pot. I aim to make at least one meal a week in the Crock-Pot.
I have a massive list of recipes written out that I can't wait to try.
This Easy Tater Tot Casserole is going on our dinner menu more often!
Here is a quick overview of the simple ingredients needed to make an epic CrockPot Tater Tot Casserole! The printable recipe card at the bottom of the post includes specific measurements and step-by-step instructions.
- Ground Beef
- Frozen Tater Tots
- Cream of Chicken Soup or Cream of Mushroom Soup
- Small Onion
- Cheddar Cheese
Optional Additions - Mushrooms, Corn, Frozen Vegetables, Peas, Garlic Powder, onion powder, Salt and pepper to taste.
- CrockPot: We suggest using a CrockPot with a digital timer that automatically switches the slow cooker to warm after a set time to ensure your dinner cooks perfectly, and you don't have to stress about when it will finish. I am totally in love with this Bob Ross Happy Little Trees Slow Cooker. It is going on my must-have list.
- Mix n Chop - We use the mix n chop to break up the ground beef and love it.
- Baking Dish with Lids: These baking dishes work great for storing leftovers.
- Slotted Serving Spoon: This large spoon is perfect for dishing up this tater tot casserole.
- CrockPot Liners: If you want to make cleanup easier, use these CrockPot liners. You can also spray the slow cooker with non-stick cooking spray.
How to Make CrockPot Tater Tot Casserole
I've included complete instructions in the printable recipe card at the bottom of the post, but here's a quick version.
- Brown beef and add in chopped onion and Rotel over medium heat.
- Pour ground beef mixture on the bottom of a greased Crock Pot.
- Stir in cream of chicken soup.
- Top with a layer of tater tots across the top.
- Cook low
- Before you serve the Tater Tot Casserole, top with shredded cheese.
Preparation and Storage
Make Ahead: This yummy casserole takes two to three hours to cook in your slow cooker, giving you time to relax or work on other menu items.
Storage: Refrigerate leftovers in an airtight container and enjoy them within three days.
Freezing/How to Freeze: Freeze leftovers in an airtight, freezer-safe container and enjoy them within three months.
How to Reheat: You can reheat your Tater Tot Casserole leftovers using the microwave or oven, depending on how many portions you need to prepare. Let frozen servings thaw overnight in the fridge to ensure they reheat evenly.
You can replace ground beef with ground chicken, ground sausage, or ground turkey if you don’t eat red meat or prefer something other than beef.
We like using shredded cheddar in this recipe but feel free to use any other cheese you would enjoy in a burger.
Vegetarian Option: Swap the ground beef and cream of chicken soup with meatless alternatives to make this recipe vegetarian.
Vegan Option: In addition to the guidance for vegetarians, vegans should replace the cream of chicken soup and shredded cheddar cheese with plant-based alternatives.
Gluten-Free: Look for gluten-free labels on the tater tots and cream of chicken soup to ensure they are safe for a gluten-free diet.
Smaller Serving Size + Larger Group/More Servings: The written recipe makes eight servings. Scale it up or down to your desired yield, working in batches according to your slow cooker’s capacity if you scale up.
Make It Spicy:
We used mild Rotel, but you could easily use a hotter variety for more heat.
Spicy cheese, like pepper jack, would be a fantastic way to add spice to this casserole.
You can also add a few dashes of your favorite hot sauce for a Tater Tot Casserole with a kick.
Sugar-Free: The written recipe does not contain any sugar.
Tips for the Best CrockPot Tater Tot Casserole
- There have been questions about what Rotel looked like on the shelf. Here it is on Amazon so that you can see the can.
What to Serve with CrockPot Tater Tot Casserole
This comfort food casserole has all the goodness of a cheeseburger and tater tot meal in one satisfying dish! Here are some pairing suggestions to inspire your menu planning.
Sides: Broccoli Casserole, Apple Stuffing, Funeral Potatoes, BLT Pasta Salad, Southern Fried Cabbage with Bacon, Air Fryer Baked Potato, Jiffy Cornbread with Sour Cream, Sweet Potato Casserole with Candied Yams, Southern Style Green Beans, CrockPot Bourbon Baked Beans
Main Dishes: Cracker Barrel Broccoli Cheddar Chicken, Stovetop Meatloaf, Chicken Casserole with Ritz Crackers, CrockPot Rosemary Pork, Cracker Barrel Chicken & Dumplings, CrockPot Macaroni & Cheese with Ham, CrockPot Salisbury Steak, CrockPot Ham & Cheese Grits
Desserts: Ooey-Gooey Butter Cake, Lemon Bars, Lemon Icebox Pie, Best Rice Krispie Treats, Bisquick Blueberry Cobbler, Magnolia Bakery Banana Pudding, Bisquick Apple Cobbler, Bisquick Peach Cobbler, Molasses Cookies, Banana Bread, Classic Chocolate Brownies
When to Serve
- When you need an Easy Dinner Recipe
- Potlucks (Office, church, family)
- Family and Friend Gatherings
- Classic Comfort Food
- Delicious Ground Beef Casserole
Great Recipe Collections
Casserole Recipes for Busy Nights - The best easy casserole recipes the entire family will love.
Ground Beef Crockpot Recipes - Easy Ground Beef Crockpot Recipes perfect for every occasion! From family dinners to potlucks these ground beef recipes are perfect!
Easy Potluck Recipes - These recipes are easy to make and everyone will love them!
Easy Vegetable Side Dishes for Any Occasion - Great ways to get veggies on the table without a huge amount of stress.
SLOW COOKER CROCK POT TATER TOT CASSEROLE RECIPE
- Brown beef and add in chopped onion and Rotel
- Pour beef and onion mixture on the bottom of a greased Crock Pot
- Mix in Cream of Chicken Soup
- Top with tater tots across the top
- Cook low for 2-3 hours.
- 30 minutes before you are going to serve the Tater Tot Casserole top with shredded cheese.
Originally shared February 2013, updated in December 2018 and January 2020