We are gearing up for Thanksgiving and trying all kinds of new recipes to hopefully make life a little easier when it comes to holiday prep. Today's Loaded Slow Cooker Crock Pot Mashed Cauliflower Recipe is the perfect side dish for any meal!
The slow cooker does almost all the work and you get a delicious vegetable side your family will love. You can leave off the cheese if you are going for a healthier version.
Easy recipe for Crock Pot Mashed Cauliflower loaded with garlic and cheese. You can leave the cheese off to make a healthy version if you like. This slow cooker comfort food is the perfect side dish for Thanksgiving, Christmas or a family dinner.
One of my favorite ways to stress less for the holidays is to use as many crock pot as possible. I love not having to set up timers for getting things in and out of the oven. I talked to a friend who set up an excel spreadsheet to track which dishes went into the oven at specific times. This sounds like a complete nightmare to me. I love making Crock Pot Thanksgiving Recipes as much as possible. It just makes life so much easier knowing that everything is cooking on its own.
Do you have any side dishes you absolutely love making in the crock pot?
I know it probably won't surprise you if you have read the blog a few times that I am hooked on using my crock pot for all the things I possibly can. Though I am falling for my air fryer too but more on that later.
If you are looking for comfort food check out all of these crockpot soups! They are perfect for dinner when the weather is getting cooler and the leaves are changing.
Fun Facts about Cauliflower
Cauliflower is a member of the Brassicaceae family, in common with the likes of cabbage, broccoli, and Brussels sprouts. It is grown and consumed around the world in a variety of different cultures and fashions. Normally, only the white head is eaten but the leaves and stalk can be used as a nutritious ingredient in the preparation of such as vegetable stock, prior to being discarded.
Cauliflower is an extremely nutritious vegetable. It is high both in Vitamin C and natural dietary fiber, as well as those phytochemicals which combat the damaging free radicals in our bodies and help prevent them from attacking cellular structure and leading to the formation of tumors and certain types of cancers.
It is normal when we are eating cauliflower to cook it first - but have you ever tried it raw? It is absolutely delicious! The next time you are breaking up a cauliflower head into florets for such as steaming or boiling, try eating a piece in this fashion. It is crunchy, tasty and extremely nutritious.
If we are cooking cauliflower, however, as most of us will, it is vital that we do not overcook it. Doing so - in common with most foodstuffs - leads to the majority of the nutrients being lost. It also compromises the texture and flavor. This is probably the most common reason why children grow up refusing to eat the likes of cauliflower and broccoli.
Cauliflower is, of course, delicious served on its own as an accompaniment to the main meal but there are several excellent ways in which we can prepare it as one of the principal ingredients in a dish.
Even though cauliflower and broccoli are from the same family and very similar to one another, they are not often cooked or eaten together.
Cheesy Mashed Cauliflower
Loaded Crock Pot Mashed Cauliflower Recipe
1 head Cauliflower, leaves stripped and cut into medium/small florets
3 tsp garlic cloves, minced
2 tsp rosemary
½ C sour cream
½ C cheddar cheese, shredded
3 pcs bacon
1 large green onion, chopped
1 tsp Montreal steak spice, optional
How to make Mashed Cauliflower in the Slow Cooker
1. Place cauliflower florets in the slow cooker bowl.
2. Add the rosemary, garlic cloves, Montreal steak spice, and water.
3. Cook on low for 5 -6 hours or until the cauliflower is VERY soft.
4. Drain any liquid/water off from the cauliflower and the slow cooker bowl
5. Add the most of the sour cream, most of the bacon and cheese, and most of the chopped green onion. You want to reserve a small amount of each for garnish.
6. Mash the cauliflower until you get a very mashed consistency.
7. Garnish the cauliflower with shredded cheese, bacon bits, and sour cream.
We use either the Hamilton Beach Set 'n Forget Programmable Slow Cooker, 6-Quart or Crock-Pot 5-Quart Slow Cooker for all of our crock pot recipes
This recipe was originally shared in October 2016 and updated in November 2017
Loaded Slow Cooker Crock Pot Mashed Cauliflower Recipe
- 1 head Cauliflower leaves stripped and cut into medium/small florets
- 3 tsp garlic cloves minced
- 2 tsp rosemary
- 1 C water
- ½ C sour cream
- ½ C cheddar cheese shredded
- 3 bacon
- 1 large green onion chopped
- 1 tsp Montreal steak spice optional
- Place cauliflower florets into the slow cooker bowl.
- Add the rosemary, garlic cloves, montreal steak spice and water.
- Cook on low for 5 -6 hours or until the cauliflower is VERY soft.
- Drain any liquid/water off from the cauliflower and the slow cooker bowl
- Add the most of the sour cream, most of the bacon and cheese, and most of the chopped green onion. You want to reserve a small amount of each for garnish.
- Mash the cauliflower until you get a very mashed consistency.
- Garnish the cauliflower with shredded cheese, bacon bits and sour cream.