These easy and Cheesy Ranch Potatoes are easy to make and taste fantastic! These roasted potatoes have a generous coating of melted cheddar cheese, ranch dressing seasoning, and garlic, take minutes to prepare, and taste delicious. Add bacon to make Cheesy Bacon Ranch Potatoes!
Cheesy Ranch Potatoes Recipe
These cheese-smothered ranch potatoes are one of my favorite side dishes. There have been a few nights when they have been my dinner.
These cheesy ranch potatoes are so easy to make, and they are so delicious. The perfect combination of potato, cheese, and ranch dressing, all mixed to form one epic side dish.
You can make these into mashed potatoes if you want to after baking them. Just mush them all together into mashed potato goodness.
We love easy side dish recipes like these ranch-roasted potatoes. Pair with a great chicken dish and a salad/veggies, and dinner is ready.
Here is a quick overview of the simple ingredients needed to make epic Cheesy Ranch Potatoes! The printable recipe card at the bottom of the post includes specific measurements and step-by-step instructions.
- Russet Potatoes
- Olive Oil
- Ranch Seasoning Mix Packet
- Garlic Powder
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- Salt and Pepper
Garnish/Toppings: These potatoes are fantastic when dipped into a bit of sour cream, topped with bacon bits and green onions, parsley, or on their own.
Optional Add-Ins: Onion Powder, Dill, Chives
Potatoes - I like to use Russet Potatoes because they are cheap and readily available at almost any grocery store. Make sure to scrub your potatoes before using them to make sure they are clean and ready. These can also be made with red potatoes.
Ranch Dressing Mix - We use the Hidden Valley Ranch seasoning mix and love the taste of it.
Cheese - You can use any cheese that you enjoy for this recipe. We tend to use shredded cheddar cheese or Colby jack cheese but you could easily use any shredded cheese.
- Large Mixing Bowl: We are big fans of this glass batter bowl with a handle. It makes it easy to mix ingredients and keeps the mixing bowl steady on the counter. A large bowl works perfectly for tossing the potatoes in the olive oil and ranch dressing mix and ensuring each piece gets coated.
- Kitchen Spoon/Spatula
- Baking Sheet - I suggest using a baking sheet with sides just in case the potatoes move around when you put them into or take them out of the oven. You can make these in a baking dish if you don’t have a baking sheet.
- Parchment Paper - parchment paper makes it a lot easier to remove the ranch potatoes and helps ensure half the potato doesn't get stuck to your baking sheet. If you do not have any parchment paper, use non-stick cooking spray on your baking sheet.
- Foil: Foil will help ensure your potatoes do not burn during their heat bath in the oven.
Preparation and Storage
Make Ahead: These Cheesy Ranch Potatoes cook quickly enough that we recommend making them to order! However, you can also parboil the unseasoned potatoes and refrigerate them for up to a day before you season and roast them.
Storage: Refrigerate leftovers in an airtight container and enjoy them within three days.
Freezing/How to Freeze: You can freeze your leftover roasted potatoes for up to three months. Transfer the cooked potatoes to an airtight, freezer-safe bag and lay them flat in your freezer to keep the chunks separate.
How to Reheat: You can reheat leftovers in the microwave if you’re short on time, but reheating this side dish using your stove or oven is the best way to get crispy roasted potatoes.
I like russet potatoes in this recipe because they are cheap and readily available at almost any grocery store. Scrub your potatoes before using them to ensure they are clean and ready. You can also make these Cheesy Ranch Potatoes with red potatoes.
We use the Hidden Valley Ranch seasoning mix and love the taste of it. However, you can use any other ranch seasoning from your local store!
You can use any cheese that you enjoy for this recipe. We use shredded cheddar cheese or Colby jack cheese, but you could easily use any shredded cheese.
Vegetarian Option: These cheesy, ranch-filled potatoes are vegetarian!
Vegan Option: Vegans should use a vegan ranch dressing mix and shredded cheddar cheese alternative to make this recipe plant-based. Hidden Valley Ranch Seasoning Mix contains dairy in the form of buttermilk.
Gluten-Free: This recipe should be safe for a gluten-free diet. Here’s Hidden Valley’s statement on their gluten-free products.
Smaller Serving Size + Larger Group/More Servings: The written recipe makes four servings. Scale it up or down to your desired yield.
Make It Spicy: Use a spicy ranch seasoning mix to turn this dish into Cheesy Spicy Ranch Potatoes!
Sugar-Free: The written recipe contains 2 grams of sugar per serving, with no single ingredient containing a significant amount of sugar.
Tips for the Best Cheesy Ranch Potatoes
- Don't forget to preheat your oven to 400°F.
- I like to leave the skins on the potatoes for added flavor and crispiness.
- If you are not a cheese fan, you can leave off that step and enjoy ranch potatoes.
- You can make these ranch potatoes in a casserole dish if you want them to bake together and not be as crispy. Just toss everything into a casserole dish and top with cheese before they finish baking. Cover with foil and bake for 60 minutes at 350°F, then remove the foil and bump the heat to 400°F for the remaining 15 minutes.
- Make sure your potatoes are tender before adding the shredded cheese on top of them.
What to Serve with Cheesy Ranch Potatoes
Our Cheesy Ranch Potatoes are the perfect comfort food side dish when your household craves a homestyle, all-American meal and loves ranch! Here are some menu planning suggestions.
Sides: Broccoli Casserole, Apple Stuffing, Funeral Potatoes, BLT Pasta Salad, Southern Fried Cabbage with Bacon, Air Fryer Baked Potato, Jiffy Cornbread with Sour Cream, Sweet Potato Casserole with Candied Yams, Southern Style Green Beans, CrockPot Bourbon Baked Beans
Main Dishes: Cracker Barrel Broccoli Cheddar Chicken, Stovetop Meatloaf, Chicken Casserole with Ritz Crackers, CrockPot Rosemary Pork, Cracker Barrel Chicken & Dumplings, CrockPot Macaroni & Cheese with Ham, CrockPot Salisbury Steak, CrockPot Ham & Cheese Grits
Desserts: Ooey-Gooey Butter Cake, Lemon Bars, Lemon Icebox Pie, Best Rice Krispie Treats, Bisquick Blueberry Cobbler, Magnolia Bakery Banana Pudding, Bisquick Apple Cobbler, Bisquick Peach Cobbler, Molasses Cookies, Banana Bread, Classic Chocolate Brownies
When to Serve
- Family and Friend Gatherings
- Potato Side Dish
Great Dinner Recipes
This recipe is one of our favorite side dishes for ham!
Cheesy Ranch Potatoes Recipe
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line baking sheet with parchment paper and set to the side.
- Wash your potatoes and then cut into bite size pieces.
- Add potatoes to a large bowl, pour in olive oil and toss together. Add in Ranch dressing mix and garlic powder and stir so potatoes are coated.
- Pour potatoes onto the parchment lined baking sheet and spread them out. Sprinkles with salt and pepper.
- Cover baking sheet with aluminum foil and bake for 20 minutes. Remove foil and bake for additional 20 minutes. Check to make sure potatoes are tender and a fork easily cuts them.
- Sprinkle shredded cheddar cheese over potatoes and place back in the oven for a couple of minutes until the cheese has melted.
- Cookie Sheets
- Parchment Paper