Our A/C is a bit temperamental so I do everything I can to not add any extra heat to the house during the summer. It likes to go out during the hottest of days so anytime I can use the crockpot and whip up a recipe it is a good thing. I know you are going to love this Crockpot Sweet and Sour Chicken Recipe! No need to eat out when you can make this great recipe at home!
Crockpot Sweet & Sour Chicken Recipe
Can you believe it is already the middle of July! Holy cow this summer is flying by. We have been enjoying relaxing evenings at home soaking up the cool nights by the fire outside. I am loving using our crockpot to whip up great meals and not having to worry about heating up the house.
I also love being able to whip up restaurant favorites at home. Not having to stress about leaving the house and being able to make enough for leftovers the next day is amazing. One thing we love is being able to enjoy a delicious meal at home that does not take a lot of stress or worry.
- Boneless chicken breast
- Garlic, minced
- Ground ginger
- Chicken broth
- Low sodium soy sauce
- Brown sugar
- Apple cider vinegar
- Sesame oil
- Black pepper
- Sea salt (optional)
- Pineapple chunks (fresh or canned)
- Bell peppers – I used on red and one green
Great Crockpot Recipes
Crockpot Sweet and Sour Chicken Recipe
- 1 pound chicken breast boneless
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ cup chicken broth I used low sodium
- ⅓ cup low sodium soy sauce Gluten Free
- ½ teaspoon brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons honey can also use brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- ¼ teaspoon sesame oil
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- sea salt to taste optional
- 1 cup pineapple chunks fresh or canned - I used fresh
- 2 bell peppers cut into 1" pieces – I used on red and one green
- 3 tablespoons cool water
- 2-3 tablespoons cornstarch **use more or less depending on how thick you want the sauce
- Spray inside of slow cooker with non-stick coating spray.
- Place chicken inside the slow cooker.
- In a medium bowl whisk together chicken broth, soy sauce, dark soy sauce, honey, vinegar, tomato paste, sesame oil, garlic, ginger and black pepper. Pour sauce over chicken and push chicken down making sure chicken is covered with sauce.
- Cover slow cooker with lid and cook chicken on low heat for 5-7 hours or high heat for 2-3 hours.
- Tear or shred chicken with two forks into chunks if you are using whole chicken breasts.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the cornstarch and water to make a thickener. Pour in to slow cooker and whisk gently with chicken mixture. Gently fold in pineapple chunks and bell pepper.
- Cook mixture on high for an additional 20 minutes until sauce thickens and the pineapples and bell peppers are slightly tender.
- Season to taste with salt if desired.
- Sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds and green onions if desired
- Serve immediately over brown rice.
Recipe originally shared on July 13, 2015. Updated December 2020