You all know we love making recipes in our slow cooker Crockpots! I make at least one to two new recipes every week in the Crockpot to see what I can share with you. Today I am excited to share this new Crockpot Beef Tips and Gravy recipe!
Crockpot Beef Tips
This dish is a great comfort food dinner recipe that everyone will love. You can serve the tender beef tips and gravy over rice or mashed potatoes, depending on which you like the most.
Here is a quick overview of the simple ingredients needed to make epic CrockPot Beef Tips and Gravy! The printable recipe card at the bottom of the post includes specific measurements and step-by-step instructions.
- All-Purpose Flour
- Onion Powder
- Garlic Powder
- Salt and Pepper to Taste
- Beef Tips or Cubed Beef Stew
- Brown Gravy Mix Packet
- Worcestershire Sauce
- Soy Sauce
- Large Ziploc Bag
- Kitchen Spoon/Spatula
How to Make CrockPot Beef Tips
I've included complete instructions in the printable recipe card at the bottom of the post, but here's a quick version.
- Mix flour and seasoning in a large Ziploc bag.
- Add beef and shake to coat the tips.
- Pour oil into a heavy large skillet and heat to medium high heat. Add beef to skillet and brown on all sides.
- Combine water, gravy mix, and sauces in the CrockPot. Add beef to the CrockPot.
- Cover and cook
- Add water to thicken the gravy if needed.
Preparation and Storage
Make Ahead + Storage: You can pre-sear the meat and prepare the gravy up to two days beforehand. Refrigerate the assembled and unassembled portions in an airtight container to keep them fresh. Cooked Slow Cooker Beef Tips and Gravy leftovers will last four to five days in the fridge.
Freezing/How to Freeze: Transfer freezer-bound leftovers to an airtight, freezer-safe container and enjoy them within three months. You can freeze the gravy separately if you want to add it to your dish when it’s time to eat.
How to Reheat: Reheat leftovers using your microwave, stovetop, or CrockPot, depending on how many portions you need to prepare. Thaw frozen servings overnight in the fridge to ensure they reheat evenly.
Recipe Variations + Tips
Substitutions: Any beef-like meat cut into chunks works well with this recipe! We’ve even seen versions using lamb or venison stew meat if you can access these ingredients. The slow cooker makes cooking these tougher cuts of meats to pull-apart perfection effortless!
We have also seen recipes that add mushrooms to the gravy if you like the idea of mushroom gravy.
These tender beef tips can be served over egg noodles for a fun dinner variation.
Vegetarian + Vegan Option: Use plant-based substitutes for the meat, brown gravy mix, and Worcestershire sauce to make this recipe vegetarian and vegan-friendly.
Gluten-Free: Use gluten-free alternatives for the flour, brown gravy mix, and Worcestershire sauce to make this recipe gluten-free. Many brown gravy mix brands are labeled gluten-free, and Worcestershire sauce typically contains barley malt vinegar.
Alcohol-Free Option: We don’t use alcohol in this recipe, but you can replace a portion of the water with some red wine, whiskey, or bourbon to build more flavor into the meat and gravy.
Smaller Serving Size + Larger Group/More Servings: The written recipe makes five servings. Scale it up or down to your desired yield, keeping in mind that you may need to work in batches if you scale up.
Make it Spicy: Add smoked paprika or cayenne (or both!) to spice up this meaty entree.
Sugar-Free: The written recipe contains 1 gram of sugar per serving.
Tips for the Best CrockPot Beef Tips and Gravy
- As with all roux-based sauces, you can control the consistency by adding more flour to thicken the gravy and increasing the liquid content to loosen it.
- Printable recipe card instructions are below.
- Nutrition information, including calories, protein, calcium, carbohydrates, fiber, vitamin c, potassium, cholesterol, sodium, trans fat, monounsaturated fat, polyunsaturated fat, and more, will vary depending on the products used.
What to Serve with CrockPot Beef Tips and Gravy
Our Slow Cooker Beef Tips and Gravy taste fantastic with mashed potatoes or biscuits! Serve the gravy in a gravy dish to let your guests pour it over whatever makes them happy.
Sides: Kale & Apple Potato Salad, Crock Pot Parmesan Potatoes, Crockpot Creamed Corn, Cheddar Bay Sausage Balls, Crock Pot Garlic Mashed Potatoes, Slow Cooker Candied Sweet Potatoes, Easy Broccoli Slaw, Cheesy Ranch Potatoes, Campbell’s Green Bean Casserole
Main Dishes: Bacon Pot Pie, Crock Pot Cheese Grits, Slow Cooker Mac & Cheese, Loaded Crock Pot Mashed Potatoes, Camp Stew, John Wayne Casserole, Sausage Biscuit & Gravy Casserole, Crock Pot Bourbon Maple Pork Loin, Crock Pot Guinness Corned Beef & Cabbage
When to Serve
- Biscuits and Gravy Night
- Family Gatherings
- Sunday Dinner
Great CrockPot Dinner Recipes
Check out these great Crock Pot Chili Recipes!
Crockpot Beef Tips Recipe
- Mix flour and seasoning in a large Ziploc bag
- Add in beef and shake to coat beef tips
- Pour oil into a heavy skillet and heat to medium-high, add beef to skillet and brown on all sides
- Combine water, gravy mix, and sauces in the crock pot, add beef to crock pot
- Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours
- Add in water to thicken gravy if needed
Recipe originally shared on June 25, 2018. Updated January 2021, August 2023.