I hope you have a fantastic day! I am excited to share today's CrockPot and Slow Cooker Chicken Tikka Masala Recipe with everyone!
Slow Cooker Chicken Tikka Masala
Chicken is one of our favorite meats to cook in the CrockPot, so much so that we made an entire list of CrockPot chicken recipes. LOL! This handy kitchen appliance is versatile, and you can make many recipes with chicken.
Back to this delicious recipe that is so perfect for family dinners!
Here is a quick overview of the simple ingredients needed to make an epic CrockPot Chicken Tikka Masala! The printable recipe card at the bottom of the post includes specific measurements and step-by-step instructions.
- Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts
- Minced Garlic
- Minced Ginger
- Tomato Sauce
- Garam Marsala
- Salt and Pepper
- Heavy Cream
Optional Side dishes - Naan bread, basmati rice
- Slow Cooker Liners
- Kitchen Spoon/Stirring Utensil
- Small Bowl
- Teaspoon/Measuring cups
How to Make CrockPot Chicken Tikka Masala
I've included complete instructions in the printable recipe card at the bottom of the post, but here's a quick version.
- Line the slow cooker insert with the liners especially made to protect the bowl.
- Combine everything in the bowl except for the whipping cream and the cornstarch.
- Cook on low
- In the last hour of cooking, combine/stir the cream and the cornstarch in a small bowl.
- Pour into the Tikka Masala and continue to cook for another hour to thicken.
- Serve with rice.
Preparation and Storage
Make-Ahead + Storage:
I love filling our freezer with chicken and staple veggies we often use, like onions, so we always have them available for recipes like this make-ahead-friendly CrockPot Chicken Tikka Masala.
Refrigerate leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator, and enjoy them within three to four days.
Freezing/How to Freeze: Transfer freezer-bound leftovers to an airtight, freezer-safe container and enjoy them within three months.
How to Reheat: Reheat leftovers using the microwave, stovetop, or CrockPot, depending on how many portions you need to prepare. Thaw any frozen servings overnight in the fridge to ensure they reheat evenly.
This recipe works with any lean chicken cut, including chicken breast or thighs. For Lamb Tikka Masala, swap the chicken for lamb stew meat.
Replace the heavy whipping cream with coconut milk and a few tablespoons of plain yogurt for authentic Indian flair.
Vegetarian Option: Vegetarians should replace chicken with a meat-free alternative to make this recipe vegetarian-friendly. We recommend using meat-free cutlets to replicate the texture of chicken.
Vegan Option: In addition to the guidance for vegetarians, vegans should also use plant-based heavy whipping cream to make this recipe dairy free .
Gluten-Free: The ingredients in this recipe typically don’t contain gluten. However, look for a gluten-free label on the tomato sauce, as processed tomato sauce may contain gluten-unsafe additives.
Smaller Serving Size + Larger Group/More Servings: The written recipe makes six servings. Scale it up or down to your desired yield, keeping in mind that you may need to work in batches if you scale up.
Make it Spicy: Increase the cayenne pepper to taste to spice up this British-Indian takeout favorite. You can also use chili powder, garam masala, garlic cloves
Sugar-Free: The written recipe contains 6 grams of sugar per serving. Use tomato sauce with no sugar added to make this recipe sugar-free.
Tips for the Best CrockPot Chicken Tikka Masala
- You can pair your CrockPot Chicken Tikka Masala with any rice you enjoy, including white or brown.
- Look for jarred minced garlic and ginger in the spice section of your grocery store if you don’t want to prep these ingredients.
What to Serve with CrockPot Chicken Tikka Masala
Pair this flavor-packed entree with other takeout classics for a restaurant-worthy feast at home! Here are some menu pairing suggestions and cocktails that would go well.
Main Dishes: Orange Chicken and Broccoli, Crock Pot Cashew Chicken, Asian Flank Steak, CrockPot Asian Chicken Lettuce Wraps, CrockPot Teriyaki Chicken, CrockPot Thai Pork with Peanut Sauce, Guy's Burger Joint Pig Patty Burger, BLT Burger with Avocado Aioli
When to Serve
- Family Dinner
- Indian Cuisine Date Night
Great CrockPot Chicken Recipes
Crock Pot Slow Cooker Chicken Tikka Masala Recipe
- Line the slow cooker insert with the liners especially made to protect the bowl
- Combine everything in the bowl, with the exception of the whipping cream and the cornstarch
- Cook on low for 7 – 8 hours.
- In the last hour of cooking, combine the cream and the cornstarch in a small bowl
- Pour into the Tikka Masala and continue to cook another hour to thicken
- Serve with rice
Recipe originally shared on April 2, 2018. Updated January 2021