I am excited to share my new favorite recipe: 2 Ingredient Pineapple Angel Food Cake!
Oh my goodness, this cake recipe is so easy to make and tastes fantastic!
Pineapple Angel Food Cake
Seriously, this recipe only takes two ingredients and tastes fantastic!
We first shared this recipe in January 2013! I can't believe it has been almost eleven years since we started making this recipe.
I make this recipe for every event we need a quick and super-easy dessert. I just love the combination of pineapple and angel food cake.
Here is a quick overview of the simple ingredients needed to make an epic 2-ingredient Pineapple Angel Food Cake! The printable recipe card at the bottom of the post includes specific measurements and step-by-step instructions.
- Boxed of Angel Food Cake Mix
- Crushed Pineapple
Optional Garnish - Cool Whipped Topping, fresh berries, cherries, toasted coconut, vanilla ice cream
- Large Mixing Bowl: Make sure to use a large bowl. It makes it easier to combine.
- 9x13 Baking Dish: The 9x13 pan is a perfect size. The cake will be golden brown when finished baking.
- Parchment Paper: I like to line the cake pan with parchment paper to make it easier to serve.
- Tube Pan: If you want that look, you can also bake this in a tube-shaped angel food cake pan.
How to Make a 2 Ingredient Pineapple Angel Food Cake
I've included complete instructions for this pineapple cake in the printable recipe card at the bottom of the post, but here's a quick version.
- Stir Angel Food Cake Mix and crushed pineapple in a mixing bowl by hand. Make sure to mix thoroughly so everything is combined.
- Pour the cake batter into a 9x13 baking pan.
- Optional add a dollop of Cool Whip to the top of this fluffy cake.
Preparation and Storage
Make Ahead: We don’t recommend prepping this cake beforehand. It tends to bubble over the top if you leave the angel food cake and pineapple mix in the bowl too long.
Storage: Store leftovers in an airtight container at room temperature for up to three days or in the fridge for up to five days.
Freezing/How to Freeze: Freeze leftovers in an airtight, freezer-safe container and enjoy within three months. You can freeze them whole or individually sliced. The texture of the cake may change when frozen. Make sure to wrap each slice in plastic wrap. We have not tried freezing the cake it doesn't last that long.
How to Reheat: Angel food cake is delicate and can remain at room temperature since it does not contain dairy. We recommend enjoying it from the fridge or at room temperature.
We used Pillsbury Angel Food Cake Mix since we trust this brand in many of our dessert recipes, but you can use any quality boxed angel food cake mix.
Make sure to use the Angel Food Cake that only needs water. There should only be one package of the mix in the box. The angel food cake mixes with two pouches do not work.
We found the best results in making this with Angel Food Cake with crushed pineapple. If that is all you have, you can make it with pineapple chunks, but the crushed pineapple distributes the flavor better.
Vegetarian Option: This two-ingredient dessert is naturally vegetarian.
Vegan Option: Use a vegan angel food cake mix to make this recipe vegan.
Gluten-Free: Gluten-free eaters should use a gluten-free angel food cake mix and crushed pineapple to ensure this recipe is safe for a gluten-free diet.
Alcohol-Free Option: This cake recipe is alcohol-free, but you can add a splash of rum or rum extract for a boozy tropical flavor.
Smaller Serving Size + Larger Group/More Servings: The written recipe makes a dozen servings using one boxed angel food cake mix and one 20-ounce can of crushed pineapple, making it easy to scale to your desired yield if you need a different amount.
The written recipe contains 30 grams of sugar per serving. Make it sugar-free with a sugar-free angel food cake mix and no-sugar-added crushed pineapple.
Please remember that nutritional information is a rough estimate and can vary significantly based on the products used.
Tips for the Best 2 Ingredient Pineapple Angel Food Cake
- Make sure to mix these by hand. The Angel Food Cake mix is so light that if you combine it with a KitchenAid Mixer, electric mixer, or hand mixer, you may end up with cake mix on your ceiling.
- When mixing, begin with slow movement to ensure the cake mix stays in the bowl and doesn't fly all over the counter. I made the mistake the first time I made these of really getting into mixing, and well, I had a messy counter to clean up afterward.
- When you remove the cake from the oven, the sides will be slightly higher than the center.
- This Pineapple Angel Food Cake tastes excellent when topped with Cool Whip whipped cream. Just make sure the cake is cooled completely before serving.
- You can also top with shredded coconut for a bit more tropical flavor.
What to Serve with 2 Ingredient Pineapple Angel Food Cake
This Pineapple Angel Food Cake would be terrific at summer potlucks, tiki parties, and cookouts, but you can make it year-round since it only requires pantry staples! Here are some menu pairing suggestions to help you celebrate warm weather flavors, no matter the time of the year.
Desserts: Pig Pickin' Cake, Mandarin Orange Jello Salad, Tropical No Bake Truffles, CopyCat Sonic Coconut Cream Pie Shake, 2 Ingredient Coconut Macaroon Cookies, Bahama Mama Popsicle, Piña Colada Poke Cake, Key Lime Bars, Coconut Pineapple Drop Cookies
Drinks: Vodka Sunrise, Malibu Sunset, Carnival Rum Jumper Cocktail, Carnival Ting Mojito, Pineapple Upside Down Cake Shot, Blue Shark Cocktail, CopyCat Carnival Caribbean Breeze Cocktail, Dirty Banana Cocktail, Mai Tai, Guavaberry Colada, Coral Reef Cocktail
When to Serve
- Summer Parties
- Tiki Parties
- Memorial Day
- Fourth of July
- Labor Day
- Delicious Dessert when you need a sweet treat
Great Recipe Collections
Cake Mix Recipes - Boxed cake mix used intentionally can be a canvas for scrumptious yet creative cookies, brownies, cakes, and desserts.
Dump Cake Recipes - Easy dump cakes that take as little as 3 ingredients to bake!
3 Ingredient Recipes - Easy 3 Ingredient Recipes that taste amazing! Drinks, entrees, and desserts you can make with a few ingredients.
5 Ingredient or Less dessert recipes - check out the epic desserts you can make with only 5 or less ingredients.
Pineapple Juice Drinks - Wondering what to do with the pineapple juice in your fridge? Don't worry these drinks are easy to make.
Banana Recipes - Check out our favorite banana recipes for using ripe bananas and dried bananas.
Pineapple Angel Food Cake Recipe
- 1 Angel Food Cake Mix
- 20 Ounce Crushed Pineapple
- Combine Angel Food Cake Mix and crushed pineapple in a Mixing Bowl by hand. Make sure and mix thoroughly so everything is combined
- Pour into a 13 x 9 Baking Pan
- Bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees
- Parchment Paper
- 9X13 Pan
Recipe originally posted on January 2, 2013, updated on February 23, 2020