This Crockpot Ham and Potato Soup Recipe is one of my favorite recipes to make with leftover holiday ham. It is so easy to put together and tastes amazing.
Crockpot Ham and Potato Soup Recipe
I love soup season! The ability to throw a few ingredients into the slow cooker and come home to a great dinner makes me so happy!
Especially after the holidays when I tend to be exhausted from all the holiday prep and all I want is a quick and easy meal.
Especially after the holidays, I tend to be exhausted from all the holiday prep, and all I want is a quick and easy meal.
This ham and potato soup crockpot recipe is crazy easy, and I have many tips for making it even easier.
You can make this with leftovers Slow cooker ham or cubed ham that you can buy at the store year-round.
I love creamy soups on a cold day. There is something so comforting about all the vegetables and creaminess paired with cooked ham. YUM!
Pair it with one of these epic sides for soup for a complete meal.
Here is a quick overview of the simple ingredients needed to make an epic Crockpot Ham and Potato Soup! The printable recipe card at the bottom of the post includes specific measurements and step-by-step instructions.
Optional Garnish - green onion, cheddar cheese
- Crockpot: We suggest using a Crockpot with a digital timer that automatically switches the slow cooker to warm after a set time to help ensure your dinner cooks perfectly, and you don't have to stress about when it’ll finish cooking.
- Vegetable Chopper: This is a huge time saver for chopping veggies.
- OXO Peeler: Super comfortable to hold while peeling potatoes!
Preparation and Storage
When I prep my leftover holiday ham, I sort it into containers of slices and miscellaneous bits and pieces. The scraps are not good for sandwiches but are perfect for making soups and other leftover ham recipes.
I dice carrots and celery several times monthly and then store them in the freezer. I portion the carrots and celery into 1 cup measurements and use snack-size Ziploc bags, which perfectly fit 1 cup of veggies. Preparing these ingredients beforehand helps a ton, especially during soup and Crockpot season when I constantly grab celery and carrots and don't want to prep them every morning.
I don't dice onions early and freeze them because I worry the onion flavor will overtake everything in the freezer. I hate chopping onions, so my favorite trick is using this vegetable chopper for onions. It is quick and easy, and I don't cry over onions.
I tend to peel the potatoes before putting them into the soup to keep the peels from sticking to anyone’s teeth. I use an OXO Peeler, making peeling the potatoes easy. If you like the flavor of the peels, you can easily leave them on.
Storage: Refrigerate leftover Crockpot Ham and Potato Soup for three to four days after making it and within no more than two hours at room temperature after you cook it. Make sure to store the soup in an airtight container.
Freezing/How to Freeze: Soup is one of the best dishes to freeze; it keeps well and ensures you always have a piping-hot bowl of soup ready! This comforting soup remains good in the freezer for up to three months. Always store it in a freezer-safe container or freezer bags so no freezer burn happens.
How to Reheat: This soup reheats well using your slow cooker or stovetop.
Substitutions: We enjoy this Crock Pot soup as-is, but we have seen versions that add herbs like thyme and parsley for extra flavor. We also imagine that smoked paprika would be a yummy addition. You can make this with leftover holiday ham or cubed ham that you can buy at the store year-round.
Vegetarian + Vegan Options: Use your favorite ham roast substitute for a vegetarian soup; vegans should also substitute heavy cream and sour cream for plant-based options.
Gluten-Free: Swap the flour for a gluten-free alternative to make this ham and potato soup safe for a gluten-free diet.
Sugar-Free: While this soup is technically low-sugar at 2 grams, white potatoes are starchy and may not be suitable for people with diabetes.
Tips for the Best Crockpot Ham and Potato Soup
- Add flour for a thicker soup and cream cheese or more heavy cream for a creamier soup, depending on your desired taste. We’ve even seen takes that add tater tots and mashed potatoes for thickness and flavor.
- Cheese lovers can add shredded cheese to the top of the soup while it’s hot so that it turns gooey and melty. Pepper Jack or cheddar would be fantastic!
What to Serve With Crockpot Ham and Potato Soup
We love to serve this slow cooker ham and potato soup with fresh biscuits or dinner rolls. Perfect for getting every last drop out of the soup bowl.
Sides: BLT Pasta Salad, Air Fryer Brussels Sprouts, Air Fryer Asparagus, Sweet Potato Casserole with Canned Yams, Southern Style Green Beans, Stuffed Acorn Squash with Sausage and Rice, Crockpot Bourbon Baked Beans, Crockpot Chicken & Stuffing, Crockpot Corn Pudding
Main Dishes: Pringles Chicken, Bacon Pot Pie, Crock Pot Ribs, Crock Pot Swedish Meatballs, Crock Pot French Dip Sandwich, Crock Pot Steak Stroganoff, Crock Pot Spinach Lasagna, Slow Cooker Chicken & Dumplings, Crockpot Mushroom Pasta Casserole, Philly Cheesesteak Stuffed Peppers
When to Serve
- Lunch: Add a sandwich or side salad to complete the meal.
- Dinner: Serve a cup for an appetizer or a large bowl for a meal.
- Anytime you have leftover holiday ham and want a warm, rustic soup!
- Day after Christmas or Easter easy meal
Leftover Ham Recipes
Funeral Sandwiches - AKA Ham and Swiss Sliders
Crockpot Ham and Potato Soup Recipe
- Add potatoes, carrots, celery, onion, ham, salt and pepper to crockpot and stir together. Add in Chicken Broth
- Cover and cook for 4 hours on high or 7-8 hours on low
- Mash some of the potatoes to a desired consistency. Add in flour, heavy cream, and sour cream. Stir together.
- Cover and cook for an additional 15-20 minutes. Stir before serving.