This Homemade Slow Cooker Crockpot Refried Bean Recipe is easy to make and perfect for family dinners.
Crockpot Refried Bean Recipe
This recipe may be one of the first Crock Pot Recipes we ever shared on the blog. Looking back at the original post from 2011, I cringed a bit. Thankfully, it is 2023, and I can give this recipe a much-needed update.
Homemade, oh-so-easy to make, and the slow cooker does all the work for you! Total win-win! Whether you have Mexican night at home, taco night, or need a burrito filler, this recipe is perfect!
I love that the slow cooker does all the work, and you come home to a great family dinner!
Here is a quick overview of the simple ingredients needed to make epic CrockPot Refried Beans! The printable recipe card at the bottom of the post includes specific measurements and step-by-step instructions.
- Dry Pinto Beans
- Jalapeño Pepper
- Minced Garlic
- Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- Ground Cumin (optional)
- Kitchen Spoon/Stirring Utensil
- Colander/Large Strainer
- Hamburger Mix and Chop or Potato Masher
How to Make CrockPot Refried Beans
I've included complete instructions in the printable recipe card at the bottom of the post, but here's a quick version.
- Place the onion, rinsed beans, jalapeño, garlic, salt, pepper, and cumin in a slow cooker.
- Pour in the water and stir to combine.
- Cook, adding more water as needed. If more than 1 cup of water evaporates during cooking, the temperature is too high.
- Once the beans have cooked, strain them and reserve the liquid. Mash the beans with a potato masher, adding the reserved water to attain desired consistency.
Preparation and Storage
Make-Ahead + Storage: This Mexican side dish recipe is make-ahead-friendly! Refrigerate leftovers in an airtight container, and enjoy them within four days.
Freezing/How to Freeze: Transfer freezer-bound leftovers to an airtight, freezer-safe container and enjoy them within six months.
How to Reheat: Reheat CrockPot Refried Bean leftovers using your microwave, stovetop, or CrockPot, depending on how many servings you need to prepare.
Substitutions: Replace the pinto beans with black beans for CrockPot Refried Black Beans. We like the kick of heat that jalapeños add, but you can replace this ingredient with chopped green chilies if you prefer a milder version.
We use water but you can use chicken broth for additional flavor.
Vegetarian Option + Vegan Option: This recipe is 100 percent plant-based, making it safe for vegetarians and vegans!
Gluten-Free: The ingredients in this recipe are also naturally gluten-free.
Smaller Serving Size + Larger Group/More Servings: The written recipe makes eight servings. Scale it up or down to your desired yield, keeping in mind that you may need to work in batches if you scale up.
Make it Spicy: Add more jalapeños to taste if you want spicier beans. You can also add in a bit of chili powder.
Sugar-Free: This recipe is naturally sugar-free!
Tips for the Best CrockPot Refried Beans
- We’ve seen versions that finish the beans with butter. We have yet to try this method, but you can give it a whirl if the reserved liquid isn’t rich enough for your palate.
- Similarly, add a small amount of vegetable, chicken, or beef broth to loosen the beans to your desired consistency. You can also replace some of the water with broth for more flavor. This tip also works for reheating your beans.
What to Serve with CrockPot Refried Beans
Our CrockPot Refried Beans are a fan favorite whenever we have a Mexican night, host friends or family, or want a light, fresh, healthy snack. Here are some south-of-the-border options from our recipe collection to inspire your menu planning!
Sides: Viral TikTok Taco Pickles, Black Bean Salsa, Cranberry Salsa, Southwest Black Bean & Corn Salad, Cilantro Lime Rice, Grilled Avocado, 7 Layer Taco Dip, Tequila Spiked Guacamole, CopyCat El Pollo Loco Avocado Salsa
Don't miss all of our vegetable side dishes.
Main Dishes: CrockPot Pineapple Salsa Chicken Tacos, Easy Cheese Enchiladas, Air Fryer Taquitos, CrockPot Mango Chicken, Slow Cooker Nacho Chicken, Carne Asada Street Tacos, Mexican Pulled Pork, CrockPot Mexican Chicken Tostadas, CrockPot Pork Chili Verde
Drinks: Alchemy Bar Mojito Martini, Tequila & Sprite Cocktail, Spicy Chipotle Pineapple Martini, Mexican Mule, CopyCat Chevy's Sunburn Margarita, Frozen Mango Margarita, Key Lime Colada, Avocado Margarita, Blue Agave Margarita, Cactus Colada, Piña Colada
When to Serve CopyCat Chili’s Salsa
- Mexican Night
- Family Gatherings
- Cocktail Night
- Tailgating Parties
Great CrockPot Mexican Recipes
This recipe is one of our favorite sides for ribs.
Crock Pot Refried Beans recipe
- Place the onion, rinsed beans, jalapeno, garlic, salt, pepper, and cumin in a slow cooker.
- Pour in the water and stir to combine.
- Cook on High for 8 hours, adding more water as needed.
- Note: if more than 1 cup of water has evaporated during cooking, then the temperature is too high.
- Once the beans have cooked, strain them, and reserve the liquid. Mash the beans with a potato masher, adding the reserved water as needed to attain desired consistency.